Old 30-09-2008, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Pumpkins and Squashs

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote

| How have you all done with your pumpkins and squashes this year?
| Ours are excellent, the pumpkins have grown well without constant water
and
| we have just harvested 43 full sized ripe butternuts from 6 plants.
Needless
| to say we have already started giving them away.

One fairly miserable potimarron, though it ripened OK. Two good-sized
Queensland blue, but the one we have eaten was VERY watery. And lots
and lots of little gem - but those are Curcurbita pepo, which does
better in cool conditions than C. maxima.

I am amazed that you have got butternuts (which I think are C. moschata)
to fruit and ripen - you must have had a better year than I have!

The variety was "Sprinter" which is supposed to be good for growing in the
UK.

We have grown various squashes in the past but don't bother now as I found I
didn't like them cooked in any shape or form. We both love Butternuts (and
Marrows) though.
The pumpkins we do grow (Atlantic Giant) are simply for a laugh and for
Halloween, they then go on the compost heap.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden