Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Water Flow in the Winter

actually, I have a veggie filter do I dont depend on bacteria for conversion of
wastes. my filter is open and there is no "material" in the filter except plant
roots so my turning it off might lead to a little anaerobic activity in the mulm in
the bottom, but I dont really worry since I have a big Whitewater air pump blowing
air into the pond thru a 1 foot glass air stone. since I heat the pond and feed all
winter my main concern is keeping a veggie filter up and running that can handle the
decreased amount and frequency of feeding. Ingrid

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:35:43 EDT, "Pete C" wrote:

wrote:
I redirect the flow right back into the pond into the in pond veggie
filter. But I too may switch to a smaller pump into the filter. I
am going to dig out a timer and shut it down at night now that temps
are dropping. Time to dig out my pond heater too. Ingrid

The point surely, of keeping the system ticking over, is so that come
spring, you still have bacterial action? Turning off at night will kill that
good bacteria??