Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Ivy on Dome

On 10/2/2008 2:14 PM, GEarth wrote:
I am writing a paper about growing ivy over the roof of an earth-
architecture dome on my college campus.
Does anyone know what ivy would be best to do this with. The school is
in southern california, near los angeles. I do not know too much about
gardening so I would like as specific of answers as possible.
what type? whats the process? what are the benefits? what are the
downsides? and just any random gardening things would be helpful.
thank you

All species of true ivy (genus Hedera) do well in southern California.
Some do too well, becoming a habitat for rats.

For an ivy that does not grow rampantly, consider Hahn's (H. helix
'Hahn's'). This is a dwarf English ivy that won't require constant
trimming. Avoid Algerian ivy (H. canariensis), which might need to be
trimmed weekly.

Also consider a mix of English ivy (H. helix) and African daisy
(Osteospermum fruticosum, soemtimes called "freeway daisy"). Neither
can crowd out the other, and they take the same amount of water and
fertilizer. Both are evergreen.

I would not consider any kind of grape as they have very deep roots.
Grapes will not thrive in a thin layer of soil (even 2ft thick) that is
the roof of a structure.

Avoid climbing fig (Ficus pumila, also known as F. repens). Its roots
will grow into the tiniest crack, eventually destroying the structure on
which it is planted.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean