Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ivy on Dome

I am writing a paper about growing ivy over the roof of an earth-
architecture dome on my college campus.
Does anyone know what ivy would be best to do this with. The school is
in southern california, near los angeles. I do not know too much about
gardening so I would like as specific of answers as possible.
what type? whats the process? what are the benefits? what are the
downsides? and just any random gardening things would be helpful.
thank you
Old 02-10-2008, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
GEarth wrote:

I am writing a paper about growing ivy over the roof of an earth-
architecture dome on my college campus.
Does anyone know what ivy would be best to do this with. The school is
in southern california, near los angeles. I do not know too much about
gardening so I would like as specific of answers as possible.
what type? whats the process? what are the benefits? what are the
downsides? and just any random gardening things would be helpful.
thank you

Going back in time.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5702329/-underground-house-book

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

what part are you referencing?
also, what specific ivy plant should be used
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 2, 2:22*pm, Bill wrote:
In article
,

*GEarth wrote:
I am writing a paper about growing ivy over the roof of an earth-
architecture dome on my college campus.
Does anyone know what ivy would be best to do this with. The school is
in southern california, near los angeles. I do not know too much about
gardening so I would like as specific of answers as possible.
what type? whats the process? what are the benefits? what are the
downsides? and just any random gardening things would be helpful.
thank you

*Going back in time.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/5702329/-underground-house-book

* Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

what specific part are you referencing from the book?
also, which type of ivy should i use (in southern california)
Old 02-10-2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
GEarth wrote:

what part are you referencing?

I own the book and it is to the far left of your radio dial which may
be useful in hard times.
also, what specific ivy plant should be used

Growing plants on top of structure to provide insulation may require
soil. Iąd not limit my self to a specific ivy when other plants may
grow better in you target area.

Perhaps if you want to cover the Dome with just ivy? Iąd suggest
closer to the earth the better. Still I think of termite easy access
for some reason.

Bill a generalist.

Listening to Pushing too hard by łThe Seedsł.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 2, 3:29*pm, Bill wrote:
In article
,

*GEarth wrote:
what part are you referencing?

*I own the book and it is to the far left of your radio dial which may
be useful in hard times.

also, what specific ivy plant should be used

* Growing plants on top of structure to provide insulation may require
soil. *Iąd not limit my self to a specific ivy when other plants may
grow better in you target area. *

*Perhaps if you want to cover the Dome with just ivy? *Iąd suggest
closer to the earth the better. *Still I think of termite easy access
for some reason.

*Bill a generalist.

Listening to Pushing too hard by łThe Seedsł.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

ok, thanks i decided to switch to a native grape
Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/2/2008 2:14 PM, GEarth wrote:
I am writing a paper about growing ivy over the roof of an earth-
architecture dome on my college campus.
Does anyone know what ivy would be best to do this with. The school is
in southern california, near los angeles. I do not know too much about
gardening so I would like as specific of answers as possible.
what type? whats the process? what are the benefits? what are the
downsides? and just any random gardening things would be helpful.
thank you

All species of true ivy (genus Hedera) do well in southern California.
Some do too well, becoming a habitat for rats.

For an ivy that does not grow rampantly, consider Hahn's (H. helix
'Hahn's'). This is a dwarf English ivy that won't require constant
trimming. Avoid Algerian ivy (H. canariensis), which might need to be
trimmed weekly.

Also consider a mix of English ivy (H. helix) and African daisy
(Osteospermum fruticosum, soemtimes called "freeway daisy"). Neither
can crowd out the other, and they take the same amount of water and
fertilizer. Both are evergreen.

I would not consider any kind of grape as they have very deep roots.
Grapes will not thrive in a thin layer of soil (even 2ft thick) that is
the roof of a structure.

Avoid climbing fig (Ficus pumila, also known as F. repens). Its roots
will grow into the tiniest crack, eventually destroying the structure on
which it is planted.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
How do I put bottom drain dome cover back on? Cleveland Ponder Ponds 0 22-04-2003 06:44 PM
Chook dome questions KingLillis Permaculture 3 09-04-2003 05:20 AM
Pictures From Tokyo Dome Orchid Show George Orchids 1 18-03-2003 03:20 AM