Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Butternt Squash

PennyMay said:

Hello

I'm new to this site and new to gardening. I have a butternut squash
that has taken over my very small plot. I have a few small ones, and
one large one. Only thing is, I have no idea when to pick them. The
large one is still green. Will it turn colour? Is there anything I
should be looking out for?

Butternut squash turn tan when ripe. But there is not much time left
for a green butternut squash to ripen.

Any chance that you planted a butterCUP squash? These are usually
green when mature.

In any case, a mature winter squash will have a hard rind and a very
hard stem. The stem on a butternut squash will be hard as wood;
buttercup stems are a bit corky.

After enlightenment, the laundry.