Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Plymouth, UK
Red face Butternt Squash

Hello

I'm new to this site and new to gardening. I have a butternut squash that has taken over my very small plot. I have a few small ones, and one large one. Only thing is, I have no idea when to pick them. The large one is still green. Will it turn colour? Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Any advice gratefully received.

PennyMay
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Butternt Squash

PennyMay said:

Hello

I'm new to this site and new to gardening. I have a butternut squash
that has taken over my very small plot. I have a few small ones, and
one large one. Only thing is, I have no idea when to pick them. The
large one is still green. Will it turn colour? Is there anything I
should be looking out for?

Butternut squash turn tan when ripe. But there is not much time left
for a green butternut squash to ripen.

Any chance that you planted a butterCUP squash? These are usually
green when mature.

In any case, a mature winter squash will have a hard rind and a very
hard stem. The stem on a butternut squash will be hard as wood;
buttercup stems are a bit corky.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

--
PennyMay

like the other guy said.
however, note that the differences between winter and summer squash
are more of detail than basic; in other words, if the thing doesn't
lose its green before winter comes, there's no reason you can't pick
them and treat them like giant zucchini.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
z wrote:

On Oct 5, 5:55*pm, PennyMay
wrote:
Hello

I'm new to this site and new to gardening. *I have a butternut squash
that has taken over my very small plot. *I have a few small ones, and
one large one. *Only thing is, I have no idea when to pick them. *The
large one is still green. *Will it turn colour? *Is there anything I
should be looking out for?

Any advice gratefully received.

PennyMay

--
PennyMay

like the other guy said.
however, note that the differences between winter and summer squash
are more of detail than basic; in other words, if the thing doesn't
lose its green before winter comes, there's no reason you can't pick
them and treat them like giant zucchini.

Baby pumpkins are delicious steamed.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

In article
,
z wrote:

On Oct 5, 5:55 pm, PennyMay
wrote:
Hello

I'm new to this site and new to gardening. I have a butternut squash
that has taken over my very small plot. I have a few small ones, and
one large one. Only thing is, I have no idea when to pick them. The
large one is still green. Will it turn colour? Is there anything I
should be looking out for?

Any advice gratefully received.

PennyMay

--
PennyMay

like the other guy said.
however, note that the differences between winter and summer squash
are more of detail than basic; in other words, if the thing doesn't
lose its green before winter comes, there's no reason you can't pick
them and treat them like giant zucchini.

Baby pumpkins are delicious steamed.

I had a butternut that was picked green at the end of the season, I left
it in a semi shady area on my kitchen counter for some six months and
amazingly enough over that time it turned to the "normal" ripe color.
After those six months I cut it in half and finding it looked perfectly
normal I cooked it and it tasted perfectly normal as well.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 7, 9:58*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Omelet wrote:

I had a butternut that was picked green at the end of the season, I left
it in a semi shady area on my kitchen counter for some six months and
amazingly enough over that time it turned to the "normal" ripe color.
After those six months I cut it in half and finding it looked perfectly
normal I cooked it and it tasted perfectly normal as well.- Hide quoted text -

I do the same thing with my green tomatoes.
They turn ripe during the winter.
Though they do not taste quite as good as the vine ripe ones, they are
still as good or better then store bought.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:55:05 +0100, PennyMay
wrote:

Hello

I'm new to this site and new to gardening. I have a butternut squash
that has taken over my very small plot. I have a few small ones, and
one large one. Only thing is, I have no idea when to pick them. The
large one is still green. Will it turn colour? Is there anything I
should be looking out for?

Any advice gratefully received.

PennyMay

When the squash turns golden and the stem gers hard it's ready to
pick.

Irv
Old 10-10-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I would advice against eating a green butternut squash as a zuch. I
tried one eaarlier this year when I did't know what kind of plant was
growing. it was not very tasty, in fact I'm almost sure it was
dangerous as my skin was shedding a bit while I was handeling the
sliced squash. actually i haven't confirmed it to be butternut squash,
but based on the shape color and size I'm guessing it to be butternut
squash.
letting it sit on a cool place to turn color and ripen sounds like a
good idea.

thanks,
Simon

Old 20-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Plymouth, UK

Many thanks for all your advice, I have picked what I had, although they aren't ripe and now hoping they turn.

Alison

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
Butternut Squash Natalie United Kingdom 30 17-05-2003 10:44 AM
Squash growing Jayne Edible Gardening 6 10-05-2003 06:32 PM
Maclura pomifera (osage orange) dispersal (was squash dispersal) David Hershey Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM
squash dispersal Monique Reed Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM