Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Larry Gagnon Larry Gagnon is offline

Default Beds and borders: annual mulching needed?

We recently re-landscaped our 1/4 acre garden, finishing early September
last year. Beds and borders contain perennials, small shrubs, small
conifers - mixed. Virtually no annuals. Before planting we added new soil,
planted then put on a 2" layer of quality compost after planting late
August 2007. We added slow release fertilizer to all beds this spring.

We currently have enough year old well-rotted leaf mulch to cover about
1/3 of the beds, and we are using where we think it is important this fall.

My question is how often does mulching need to be done? Every year? Can we
get away with doing it every second year for instance?
Also, do these mostly perennial beds need annual hoeing and turning over
every year?

Any suggestions for this gardening newbie is much apprecaited.

Larry Gagnon

--
For direct email remove "fake".