Old 07-10-2008, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bulbs and mice

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have just finished potting up about 2 dozen pots of bulbs, some last
nears, some new.
Today I have seen a mouse in my garden.
Will mice unearth and eat the bulbs?

I have too many pots to cover all with wire netting and don't want to
move them.
Any suggestions for what I can sprinkle on top, or otherwise, to
deter, or get rid of, said mouse or mice?
Next door, immediately next to my fence, my neighbours have a shed
which now houses a rabbit and some guinea pigs. Beneath the shed, or
even in it, seems a likely place for mice to go for the winter. Some
years ago mice got up into the attics. (Row of terraced houses)
Is mouse bait the only solution? Do I need to declare war?

Personally, I would wait to see if any of your bulbs get eaten, then you can
take steps if necessary. Wood mice have a perfect right to live in your
garden, that's where they live;-)
There's plenty of food out there atm for wood mice, so unless you have proof
that they are devastating your bulbs, live and let live. If your bulbs are
dug up and damaged it's far more likely to be grey squirrels.
You do not need to poison them and no war is necessary.