Old 05-10-2008, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bulbs and mice

I have just finished potting up about 2 dozen pots of bulbs, some last
nears, some new.
Today I have seen a mouse in my garden.
Will mice unearth and eat the bulbs?

I have too many pots to cover all with wire netting and don't want to
move them.
Any suggestions for what I can sprinkle on top, or otherwise, to
deter, or get rid of, said mouse or mice?
Next door, immediately next to my fence, my neighbours have a shed
which now houses a rabbit and some guinea pigs. Beneath the shed, or
even in it, seems a likely place for mice to go for the winter. Some
years ago mice got up into the attics. (Row of terraced houses)
Is mouse bait the only solution? Do I need to declare war?

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have just finished potting up about 2 dozen pots of bulbs, some last
nears, some new.
Today I have seen a mouse in my garden.
Will mice unearth and eat the bulbs?

I have too many pots to cover all with wire netting and don't want to
move them.
Any suggestions for what I can sprinkle on top, or otherwise, to
deter, or get rid of, said mouse or mice?
Next door, immediately next to my fence, my neighbours have a shed
which now houses a rabbit and some guinea pigs. Beneath the shed, or
even in it, seems a likely place for mice to go for the winter. Some
years ago mice got up into the attics. (Row of terraced houses)
Is mouse bait the only solution? Do I need to declare war?

I was having a bit of a mouse problem in the greenhouse last year.
I plugged in one of those sonic deterrent gismos at either end.
No more mice !
Rabbits seem unaffected though.
You may have to provide the guinea piggies with earplugs !!

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:39:52 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

Any suggestions for what I can sprinkle on top, or otherwise, to deter,
or get rid of, said mouse or mice? N

Cat.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
.. .
Get yourself a cat We have two and they do a marvellous job keeping
down
the mouse population in our country garden. BTW it's squirrels you need
watch out for as far as bulbs are concerned - have you seen any in your
garden ?

Have you trained your cats not to keep down the bird population as well ?

Squirrels are a far more welcome visitor - my daffs and crocuses are safe in
their company.

They tend to go for the bird nuts however - but that is all part of the
challenge.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Oct 2008 19:38:05 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:39:52 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

Any suggestions for what I can sprinkle on top, or otherwise, to deter,
or get rid of, said mouse or mice? N

Cat.

Don't have one, have no desire for one and am trying to get rid of one
which keeps messing in my front garden. I want something inanimate!!!

Pam in Bristol

Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
| On 5 Oct 2008 19:38:05 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:
|
| On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:39:52 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:
|

| Any suggestions for what I can sprinkle on top, or otherwise, to deter,
| or get rid of, said mouse or mice? N
|
| Cat.
|
| Don't have one, have no desire for one and am trying to get rid of one
| which keeps messing in my front garden. I want something inanimate!!!
|
| Pam in Bristol

Actually getting a cat will in fact stop cats messing in your garden, cats
are territorial (especially males) so your cat will keep other cats away -
and cats don't mess on their own territory!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:49:32 +0100, "Angela" wrote:

Actually getting a cat will in fact stop cats messing in your garden, cats
are territorial (especially males) so your cat will keep other cats away -
and cats don't mess on their own territory!

Sorry I don't want a cat!

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 21:21:26 +0100, Pete Stockdale wrote:

Have you trained your cats not to keep down the bird population as well
?

Darwin innit: they take the least fittest, the next generation is fitter.

Squirrels are a far more welcome visitor

Indeed, quite delicious in a casserole or pie.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 22:09:20 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

On 5 Oct 2008 19:38:05 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:39:52 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

Any suggestions for what I can sprinkle on top, or otherwise, to
deter, or get rid of, said mouse or mice? N

Cat.

Don't have one, have no desire for one and am trying to get rid of one
which keeps messing in my front garden. I want something inanimate!!!

Pam in Bristol

Sorry Pam, I should have put a big tongue-in-cheek-smiley in the
suggesting cats in this n.g. is like lobbing in a hand-grenade. OK Jack
Russell Terrier should do the job.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have just finished potting up about 2 dozen pots of bulbs, some last
nears, some new.
Today I have seen a mouse in my garden.
Will mice unearth and eat the bulbs?

I have too many pots to cover all with wire netting and don't want to
move them.
Any suggestions for what I can sprinkle on top, or otherwise, to
deter, or get rid of, said mouse or mice?
Next door, immediately next to my fence, my neighbours have a shed
which now houses a rabbit and some guinea pigs. Beneath the shed, or
even in it, seems a likely place for mice to go for the winter. Some
years ago mice got up into the attics. (Row of terraced houses)
Is mouse bait the only solution? Do I need to declare war?

Personally, I would wait to see if any of your bulbs get eaten, then you can
take steps if necessary. Wood mice have a perfect right to live in your
garden, that's where they live;-)
There's plenty of food out there atm for wood mice, so unless you have proof
that they are devastating your bulbs, live and let live. If your bulbs are
dug up and damaged it's far more likely to be grey squirrels.
You do not need to poison them and no war is necessary.

Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Mice and sonar deterrents Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 0 19-08-2007 02:00 PM
Potatoes and mice/voles Janet Galpin United Kingdom 0 18-09-2005 09:20 PM
Thanks Rats and mice SG1 Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM