Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

Default Water pump

"P. Alves" wrote in message
Hi,

This is a bit off-topic but...

I bought a property that has a well (2.6m diameter) and I am buying a
submersible pump. I have a system of 5 impulse sprinklers, the most
distant one is about 60 meters and it is not working very well with
the water from the council, each sprinkler has a 870 litres per hour
max flow. now I can opt for one of 2 pumps. one with more water but
less pressure (4.8m3/hour and 85m height max), and another one with
more pressure but less water (7.2m3/hour and 62m height max)... Any
advice on which one to choose? anyone with experience on this.

Thanks in advance.

Most users of ground water in excess of 20 m^3 per day will require a water
extraction licence from the Environment Agency.

This means that if you are likely to be running your sprinkers for more than
about 4 1/2 hours per day you probably need to contact them to discuss your
requirements. Depending on what you are using the water for, you may also
need to get the water tested for pollutants/mineral content.

Application process
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/waterres/564321/?version=1&lang=_e

Charges for the Licence Application and Abstraction rates are also detailed
on the EA site