Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water pump

Hi,

This is a bit off-topic but...

I bought a property that has a well (2.6m diameter) and I am buying a
submersible pump. I have a system of 5 impulse sprinklers, the most
distant one is about 60 meters and it is not working very well with
the water from the council, each sprinkler has a 870 litres per hour
max flow. now I can opt for one of 2 pumps. one with more water but
less pressure (4.8m3/hour and 85m height max), and another one with
more pressure but less water (7.2m3/hour and 62m height max)... Any
advice on which one to choose? anyone with experience on this.

Thanks in advance.

PA
Old 06-10-2008, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "P. Alves" contains these words:

Hi,

This is a bit off-topic but...

I bought a property that has a well (2.6m diameter) and I am buying a
submersible pump. I have a system of 5 impulse sprinklers, the most
distant one is about 60 meters and it is not working very well with
the water from the council, each sprinkler has a 870 litres per hour
max flow. now I can opt for one of 2 pumps. one with more water but
less pressure (4.8m3/hour and 85m height max), and another one with
more pressure but less water (7.2m3/hour and 62m height max)... Any
advice on which one to choose? anyone with experience on this.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I used to live on a smallholding with no electricity, and water
from a bore. A stationary enging turned a rotary-to-reciprocation
mechanism which operated a pump at the bottom of the bore - 180 feet
down.

The water was pumped into a 3,000 gallon header tank which was on 15 ft piers.

Even with the tank full, allowing for about 20 ft of head, the pressure
wouldn't spray from a pretty basic hose-nozzle.

However, I'd have thought that either of the pressures you quote would
be adequate, but, look at the figures again: I think you have them
arse-about-face.

I've no doubt that someone will be able to tell you where you can get an
in-line (or rather, off-the-line) water pressure gauge so you can test
your sprinklers against the mains pressure. This should give you some
idea of whether you need extra pressure or more flow.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"P. Alves" wrote in message
Hi,

This is a bit off-topic but...

I bought a property that has a well (2.6m diameter) and I am buying a
submersible pump. I have a system of 5 impulse sprinklers, the most
distant one is about 60 meters and it is not working very well with
the water from the council, each sprinkler has a 870 litres per hour
max flow. now I can opt for one of 2 pumps. one with more water but
less pressure (4.8m3/hour and 85m height max), and another one with
more pressure but less water (7.2m3/hour and 62m height max)... Any
advice on which one to choose? anyone with experience on this.

Thanks in advance.

Most users of ground water in excess of 20 m^3 per day will require a water
extraction licence from the Environment Agency.

This means that if you are likely to be running your sprinkers for more than
about 4 1/2 hours per day you probably need to contact them to discuss your
requirements. Depending on what you are using the water for, you may also
need to get the water tested for pollutants/mineral content.

Application process
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/waterres/564321/?version=1&lang=_e

Charges for the Licence Application and Abstraction rates are also detailed
on the EA site