Old 07-10-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Tree identification?

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 06:23:05 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Puddin' Man said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pudding_man/

The first 4. You'll likely have to zoom in to tell much about leaf
formation.

I'm in S. city. Ferguson may/may-not have planted such flora.

Well, it looks to me like some variety of red maple (Acer rubrum).
'Red' only refers to its typical fall color. There are a lot of cultivars.
I often see the more stubby, 3-point leaves (as in your picture)
in the woods here, even though my book on native trees shows
a more typical 5-point maple leaf silhouette.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Redopp...brum_page.html

Acer rubrum it would indeed appear to be.

The tree has characteristics thru the season so different from the
local (silver) maples, it didn't occur to me that it might be
a maple variety, but what do I know? :-)

Thanks,

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of Paulson, Bernanke, etc