Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree identification?

Hi,

I have a little "book" for identifying trees. No problem with trees very
common to the midwest US, i.e. oak, maple, sycamore.

Next door is a medium-size tree with palmate leaves which have 3 points
each. Seed is helicopter-type, fall in the spring.

Anybody have some idea what kind of tree this might be?

Thx,

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of Paulson, Bernanke, etc
Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I have a little "book" for identifying trees. No problem with trees very
common to the midwest US, i.e. oak, maple, sycamore.

Next door is a medium-size tree with palmate leaves which have 3 points
each. Seed is helicopter-type, fall in the spring.

Anybody have some idea what kind of tree this might be?

Thx,

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of Paulson, Bernanke, etc

Look up box elder, or ash maple and see if that is it. Maple and ash
are the common helicopter seeds.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 3, 1:21*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I have a little "book" for identifying trees. No problem with trees very
common to the midwest US, i.e. oak, maple, sycamore.

Next door is a medium-size tree with palmate leaves which have 3 points
each. Seed is helicopter-type, fall in the spring.

Anybody have some idea what kind of tree this might be?

* Thx,
* P

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
* *- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of Paulson, Bernanke, etc

I have never seen a tree like this and I don't know what it could be
called but it sounds very pretty.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 13:48:05 -0500, "D. Staples" wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I have a little "book" for identifying trees. No problem with trees very
common to the midwest US, i.e. oak, maple, sycamore.

Next door is a medium-size tree with palmate leaves which have 3 points
each. Seed is helicopter-type, fall in the spring.

Anybody have some idea what kind of tree this might be?

Thx,

Look up box elder, or ash maple and see if that is it. Maple and ash
are the common helicopter seeds.

Thanks. Appears to be in the ballpark, but BE has the pinnately compound
leaves. My tree looks to be palmately compound.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 3, 1:21*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I have a little "book" for identifying trees. No problem with trees very
common to the midwest US, i.e. oak, maple, sycamore.

Next door is a medium-size tree with palmate leaves which have 3 points
each. Seed is helicopter-type, fall in the spring.

Anybody have some idea what kind of tree this might be?

* Thx,
* P

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
* *- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of Paulson, Bernanke, etc

What is this group about?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I have a little "book" for identifying trees. No problem with trees very
common to the midwest US, i.e. oak, maple, sycamore.

Next door is a medium-size tree with palmate leaves which have 3 points
each. Seed is helicopter-type, fall in the spring.

Anybody have some idea what kind of tree this might be?

Thx,

Look up box elder, or ash maple and see if that is it. Maple and ash
are the common helicopter seeds.

Thanks. Appears to be in the ballpark, but BE has the pinnately compound
leaves. My tree looks to be palmately compound.

Surely a maple, but since in a yard, could be any number of cultivars.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 20:35:59 -0500, "D. Staples" wrote:

Look up box elder, or ash maple and see if that is it. Maple and ash
are the common helicopter seeds.

Thanks. Appears to be in the ballpark, but BE has the pinnately compound
leaves. My tree looks to be palmately compound.

Surely a maple, but since in a yard, could be any number of cultivars.

Looks like no maple I've ever seen. I can post a pic if you're
interested.

Dense urban area. There are several between the sidewalk and the street.
The city (St. Louis) plants most trees in this location. They commonly
plant scarlet/pin oak, silver maple, bradford pear.

Bradford pear is a cultivar?

Old 06-10-2008, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Puddin' Man wrote:
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 20:35:59 -0500, "D. Staples" wrote:

Look up box elder, or ash maple and see if that is it. Maple and ash
are the common helicopter seeds.
Thanks. Appears to be in the ballpark, but BE has the pinnately compound
leaves. My tree looks to be palmately compound.

Surely a maple, but since in a yard, could be any number of cultivars.

Looks like no maple I've ever seen. I can post a pic if you're
interested.

Dense urban area. There are several between the sidewalk and the street.
The city (St. Louis) plants most trees in this location. They commonly
plant scarlet/pin oak, silver maple, bradford pear.

Bradford pear is a cultivar?

Post some shots, curiosity thing, ya know. By the way, I grew up in
Ferguson, probably saw the same trees.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 21:59:40 -0500, "D. Staples" wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 20:35:59 -0500, "D. Staples" wrote:

Look up box elder, or ash maple and see if that is it. Maple and ash
are the common helicopter seeds.
Thanks. Appears to be in the ballpark, but BE has the pinnately compound
leaves. My tree looks to be palmately compound.

Surely a maple, but since in a yard, could be any number of cultivars.

Looks like no maple I've ever seen. I can post a pic if you're
interested.

Dense urban area. There are several between the sidewalk and the street.
The city (St. Louis) plants most trees in this location. They commonly
plant scarlet/pin oak, silver maple, bradford pear.

Bradford pear is a cultivar?

Post some shots, curiosity thing, ya know. By the way, I grew up in
Ferguson, probably saw the same trees.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pudding_man/

The first 4. You'll likely have to zoom in to tell much about leaf
formation.

I'm in S. city. Ferguson may/may-not have planted such flora.

"Your opinion is solicited!".

Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Puddin' Man said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pudding_man/

The first 4. You'll likely have to zoom in to tell much about leaf
formation.

I'm in S. city. Ferguson may/may-not have planted such flora.

Well, it looks to me like some variety of red maple (Acer rubrum).
'Red' only refers to its typical fall color. There are a lot of cultivars.
I often see the more stubby, 3-point leaves (as in your picture)
in the woods here, even though my book on native trees shows
a more typical 5-point maple leaf silhouette.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Redopp...brum_page.html

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

Red maple, or one of the horticultural varieties.
..
Old 07-10-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 06:23:05 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Puddin' Man said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pudding_man/

The first 4. You'll likely have to zoom in to tell much about leaf
formation.

I'm in S. city. Ferguson may/may-not have planted such flora.

Well, it looks to me like some variety of red maple (Acer rubrum).
'Red' only refers to its typical fall color. There are a lot of cultivars.
I often see the more stubby, 3-point leaves (as in your picture)
in the woods here, even though my book on native trees shows
a more typical 5-point maple leaf silhouette.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Redopp...brum_page.html

Acer rubrum it would indeed appear to be.

The tree has characteristics thru the season so different from the
local (silver) maples, it didn't occur to me that it might be
a maple variety, but what do I know? :-)

Thanks,

Old 07-10-2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:23:21 -0500, "D. Staples" wrote:

Red maple, or one of the horticultural varieties.

Good enough.

Much Thanks,

"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!"
- Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of Paulson, Bernanke, etc

[IMG] code is On

Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 5 02-12-2009 10:01 PM
Tree Identification Chip G. Lawns 4 11-07-2003 09:24 PM
Help - Tree Identification (picts included) Scott Gardening 3 10-06-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Tree Identification Sean Nemecek Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 09:20 PM
Identification of pine tree from photo David Jones alt.forestry 1 05-03-2003 07:56 PM