Old 08-10-2008, 02:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default heating the pond in winter

Between my 198 watt swee****er blower, the 500 watt heater (or 2) and 110 watts for
my pondmaster 1200 gallon/hour pump, I am really eating up the energy here. So I am
thinking about a solar heater for my pond.

www.sungrabber.com has various configurations. They are made of polypropylene
(should be fish safe).

a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer to tell me the temp of water and air with a
remote switch to turn it on and off. I figure to set it up that the water drains out
automatically when the pump is turned off to prevent freezing of water.

Of course, my pond is covered close to the water, but I am also adding (hopefully
have it operational this year) another enclosure around it, higher so I can walk in
and sit down in there.

Anybody use a solar system? Does it work? Ingrid