Old 08-10-2008, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Beds and borders: annual mulching needed?

Spider writes

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
newsp.uimiqjfqaiss39@localhost...

We currently have enough year old well-rotted leaf mulch to cover about
1/3 of the beds, and we are using where we think it is important this
fall.

You're doing the right thing in not seeking to mulch it all - better to
put a thick layer on part of the area rather than to spread it too
thinly over the whole area.

Certainly you could mulch again now and you've got the perfect medium with
which to do it. Mulch each autumn and again in spring if you've got enough
material to do the job, otherwise mulch where you can. It acts as a blanket
in winter, retaining warmth in the soil and, conversely, keeps the soil cool
after a spring mulch. It also helps to keep weeds down and holds water in,
as well as gradually improving the water retention of the soil. Avoid
mulching right up to the stem or trunk, as this can cause rotting. Two to
three inches is the usual recommendation, but it's hard to over-mulch.

It also makes weeding much easier - the weeds come out far more easily
from the looser soil
--
Kay