Old 10-10-2008, 07:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Damn aphids! Solution?

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
Hi all
I am at my wits end with trying to destroy aphids, you name it I have
tried it, when I think I have them all gone next day there is another
infestation.
My guess is it is the time of the year & shortly they will disappear. I am
in Perth West Aust.
What a great day it was today, it brought the rotten little suckers out on
my roses, I am becoming obsessed with them.
cheers

Hello Sandra,
I used Kevin Walsh, ABC radio, receipe for controlling garden pests

He includes
1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil
1 teaspoon of biodegradable liquid detergent
500ml of water

Mix the ingredients together in a small sprayer. Always shake thoroughly
before each use.
Spray around seedlings and base of plants, and under leaves to ensure spray
actually contacts the insect it is trying to control.
Use to control many garden pests including aphids, pear and cherry slug,
caterpillars, whitefly, mealybugs, etc.
Do not store made up spray. Thoroughly wash sprayer after use.

I used it for my roses - they are about 10+ years old now to control aphids.
Seems successful I use it once a week or when I see the buggers.

However, I've only tried this for about a month - have not studied the long
term effects. But so far so good. And it smells nice.

Please use this mix in the late evenings- otherwise the mixture will cause
the plant will burn in the hot sun.