Old 10-10-2008, 08:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
John Smith[_7_] John Smith[_7_] is offline

Default Walbro carburetor

On Sep 26, 2:25*pm, wrote:
*my response was correct. but id rather be an idiot than a pompus ass
with no manners.

----------------------------------------------------------------http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm

Its sole purpose is to reduce or eliminate backfireing when you shut
the engine off. Most folks do not even bother to drop engine speed to
idle, and just turn it off. The builtup rpms continue to pull fuel
into thr engines combustion chamber and it ignites from heat buildup
not ignition spark. Since this form of ignition is not dependant on
where the valves are at (open closed etc) its easy to push raw fuel
into the muffler as well and when it does igniote it can bust the
muffler and do other damage to motor as well. You can get my without
a functioning solenoid onthe fuelbowl if you idle down the engine for
a bit before shutting it off. They usually fail in the open position
when they fail and usually play no part in preventing an engine form
operating properly. Briggs is not the only company that has this
issue, its very common more so from engines being run leaner today
than they were years past and to newer design specs and fuel specs.
Kawasaki engines are / were notorious on the JD line of L & G tractors
wth backfiring problems and ruptured mufflers.