Old 10-10-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Simon[_6_] Simon[_6_] is offline

Default Butternt Squash

I would advice against eating a green butternut squash as a zuch. I
tried one eaarlier this year when I did't know what kind of plant was
growing. it was not very tasty, in fact I'm almost sure it was
dangerous as my skin was shedding a bit while I was handeling the
sliced squash. actually i haven't confirmed it to be butternut squash,
but based on the shape color and size I'm guessing it to be butternut
squash.
letting it sit on a cool place to turn color and ripen sounds like a
good idea.

thanks,
Simon

On Oct 10, 3:37*pm, (Irv Baker) wrote:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:55:05 +0100, PennyMay

wrote:

Hello

I'm new to this site and new to gardening. *I have a butternut squash
that has taken over my very small plot. *I have a few small ones, and
one large one. *Only thing is, I have no idea when to pick them. *The
large one is still green. *Will it turn colour? *Is there anything I
should be looking out for?

Any advice gratefully received.

PennyMay

When the squash turns golden and the stem gers hard it's ready to
pick.

Irv