Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Charles Manoras[_2_] Charles Manoras[_2_] is offline

Default timber bamboo in the yard?

"Kyle J." wrote in

I ran across a picture of a house with timber bamboo growing in the yard
and started thinking it was a cool idea - like scattered trees. I was
wondering if I could get a giant bamboo running under the lawn and just
knock off unwanted culms while keeping the ones that I do want?

I've got a bambusoides that I naively put in a small patch of ground along
one fence and it's obviously not got enough room to spread. One of the
shoots came up out of the ground and I was able to redirect it but a big
section just lays on top. I'm worried that the soil is too hard and
dense. I'm keeping a couple inches of grass clippings on top for mulch
but worry the roots will just try to stay on top of the dirt. At any rate
it doesn't really have anywhere to go unless it is able to travel under
the dirt a few inches, get under the fence and travel the flower beds.

Now If I can plant it in my lawn and it will stay under the top mat of
grass except where the culms pop up that would be great. How good is
bamboo at sending runners out in hard soil?

Kyle J.

What kind of timber bamboo?
Where are you living?
How tall is it at the moment?
How long ago did you plant it?

I am not an expert. :-(
I am just curious about people's experience with timber bamboo.