Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Ripening toms

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Pete C" wrote ...
What is the best way to keep and ripen green toms indoors please?

Put them in a drawer/box with a ripe Banana. The gas given off by the
Banana will do the job.

I find that keeping them with their ripening peers "on the vine" works
well.
Regards
Pete

Yes, just in a basket on the counter. They don't need bananas or apples or
sun or heat. Just keep picking them over daily and removing the ripe ones as
you want to use them.

Mine are still on the plants in the greenhouse, when they stop ripening
there I'll cut off the vines and bring them indoors - so that I don't have
to go down the garden every time I want a tomato or two.

Mary