Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sherwin Sherwin is offline

Default apple blossoms in October

Mycosimian wrote:
I have two apple trees which were planted in my yard, one in front
other in back, by a friend. They usually bloom about the same time in
early spring, but in the two springs they have lived here, each has
had only a few blossoms. Now it is October and they are coming out
all over the place.

One is a, I think, Pink Lady and the other is a crabby. Freezes are
rare here around south Houston. Assuming they manage to pollenize (?)
each other, what might my chances be of seeing a few apples this
winter?

Most of my experience is with cold winters here in the Midwest. I
imagine that if you have no frosts to kill the blossoms and there are
insects around to pollinate them, you could get apples. It seems
strange that they did not produce more blossoms this spring, yet are
doing so now.

Sherwin