Old 10-04-2003, 03:44 AM
animaux

Default good companion for poppies?

In one of the beds I have, there is the sweet alyssum in winter. Soon after,
the Texas bluebonnets come up among the white alyssum. A month down, the
native poppies come up through this all and it's red, white and blue. Under it
all, the echinacea are coming up and about when the poppies are setting seed and
melting in the heat along with the bluebonnets and alyssum, the echinacea starts
to bloom. I have both white and purple echinacea. A most carefree part of the
garden.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 02:08:05 GMT, Julia Altshuler wrote:

I've wondered about this too. Each year I get compliments from neighbors I've
scarcely met on my poppies. I'm not much of a gardener, but I bought the roots
from White Flower Farm, stuck them in the ground and have never had a problem
with them. They keep blooming magnificently. Then the flowers go away, and I
don't have anything else with which to impress the neighbors.

--Lia

"Penny S." wrote:

They look wonderful for a while, but we all know that they look icky once
they are done blooming ( big oriental poppies) Any ideas for what to plant
around them to disguise them? I"m in USDA zone 3 ( eastern WA)

thanks

penny s