Old 16-10-2008, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default New spiders in UK?

On Oct 15, 11:06 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Des Higgins" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Living, as I do, reasonably close to Heathrow I'm always a bit careful
if
come across any spider I don't recognise, like the totally lime green
one
that proceeded to hang down in front of my eyes whilst driving the 90.
Not
been able to ID it yet.

Araneus cucurbitinus are common in trees and hedges and are bright
green
http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/img2213.htm
They are the size of a small garden (orb web spinning) spider and are
likely to try to absail their way out of trouble if stuck.

I had seen that one but the one that hung down in front of my eyes was all
the colour of that ones back, it was lime green all over, legs and all.
Also
seemed to be longer legged and less chunky.

ok, how about this one?
They are widespread in Britain.
usually on low vegetationhttp://www.oeko-msc.de/Micrommata-virescens.JPG

That looks much more like it, although still a bit chunky, but would it hang
down on a thread?

very likely given where it lives (have to guess here but: the only
ones that maybe will not hang by a thread are strictly ground dwelling
ones like wolf spiders). Forgot top give the name
Micrommata virescens
there are tons and tons of pics and web pages

--
Regards
Bob Hobden