Old 16-10-2008, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default New spiders in UK?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:05:42 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 15/10/08 11:44, in article ,
"mogga" wrote:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 01:13:37 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

A friend who runs a shop nearby was mooching in the covered area at
the back (loads of stuff stored there and a bit dark) - she was bitten
by a spider and got some serious flu and cold sore type things on her
lips even though at 70 she's never had them before.

Yes - this is the sort of thing that worried me re my husband. He had a
large swelling which went totally numb - just as if he'd been to the dentist
and had an injection. It was sort of white in the middle but after taking
some Piriton he found that the swelling reduced considerably. He didn't
feel ill, the bite didn't itch. But it shocked and surprised us all at the
speed of his mouth's reaction and a mouth is worryingly close to an
oesophagus, in my view. After the swelling reduced I looked at the inside
of his lip and there is no question that there were two bites, two marks
there, not one 'injection' from e.g. A mosquito. OTOH, one of my children
was bitten on the lip by a mozzie a week or two ago and ended up with a
troutpout you would not believe. I've seen the photo. The bottom lip was 5
times the normal size. Something strange is going on with this stuff. I
and my children tend to react a lot to mosquito bites but this as beyond all
experience.

It is a bit scary - we do need a seriously cold winter I think just to
wipe them out.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk