Old 16-10-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Out of Season

On 15 Oct, 12:28, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...

Can anyone offer suggestions how the out of season blooming of plants is
induced. When you see horticultural exhibitions it is pretty clear that
those exhibitors have ways to manipulate the timing to ensure that
their plants are at optimum for the show. So, what do they do ?, is it
temperature, light, chemical or what ?.

I hasten to add that I have no intention of participating in a show,
just very curious by nature.

No doubt there are various tricks specific to a given type of plant,
but there must be other methods of a more general nature.
I know that there are times when every gardener sees something coming
into bloom that should not, but how does that relate to deliberate
manipulation, can we learn anything from what seems to happen
spontaneously, or can the methods used by exhibitors help explain those
odd exceptions to routine.

Tim.

It can be as simple as cutting back a set number of days before a show.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

The problem of geting plants to perfection for a show is whilst you
can do everything to get the flowering timing by disbudding etc you
can't regulate the weather, so you will find the larger growers have
cold store to hold plants back and heated greenhouse to bring them on,
so they are growing several sets with the aim of geting one set to
perfection.
The smaller grower has to hope they get the timing of stopping right.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.