Old 16-10-2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Best kind of shepherds hook for bird-feeders, plants, etc?

On Oct 16, 9:14�am, Newbie wrote:
I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or �seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to be
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I don't know that an actual shepherd's hook will work, on the ones
I've seen the curve points down with not enough recurve for hanging
anything. I have a wrought iron plant hangar that I mostly use for
hanging hummingbird feeders but it will easily support like two 20
pound hanging plants... being a double it's actually more mechanically
sound as it balances the weight, a single will flex under more than
like ten pounds. It's made of ordinary round stock with a decorative
casting that supports the scecond curve, attached with welds. The
part that goes into the ground is a like a trident with two shorter
side prongs welded on... just step on it like a garden spade, very
stable and wont rotate. I bought it many years ago at a plant
nursery, I still see very similar ones for sale, for the real deal
they're not cheap... I've seen cheapo plastic replicas, probably won't
last a season

I probably have a better picture somewhere but this should give a good
idea: http://i37.tinypic.com/be7y93.jpg