Old 16-10-2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds

Default Best kind of shepherds hook for bird-feeders, plants, etc?

Newbie wrote:
I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to be
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I would suggest Wild Birds Unlimited:
http://www.shopwbu.com/index/567.0.25214.0.0.0.0