Old 16-10-2008, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Best kind of shepherds hook for bird-feeders, plants, etc?

In article , Newbie
wrote:

I am looking for a tall shepherds hook, to be planted into the ground
and with 3-4 hooks to hand bird feeders and/or seasonal plants.

Local shops don't have anything suitable, so it has to be mail-order,
making it difficult to judge quality etc from pictures alone.

Two questions for the experienced experts he

(1) Which companies make the best product?

(2) I have seen two ways of securing them to the ground. One has 3-5
spikes that you step on and push into the ground. Another has just the
pole, but the bottom is like a corkscrew with threads and needs to
screwed in. Which one would be stronger and more secure as different
feeders and plants are hung from the top?

Thanks for any and all advice.

What I do now.

Post hole about 4 feet place a 1 and 1/4 inch pipe in it surrounded by
stone chips. Have the pipe come up 5 feet. Then place another 1 inch
pipe in it. Add stone in the large pipe to elevate the smaller 4 feet
or so that has a tee in it. Run a length of pipe off the tee. I go 2
feet each side you may want more.
The 1 1/4 inch pipe has 4 baffles to deter rats and squirrels . Best
if the baffles are the type that wobble. Išve seen those guys jump up
3 feet and have seen a cat go 3.5 to snatch a chickadee.

Prime and paint with color of choice. This latest technology here.

Bill

Ps No plants or structure for circumventing the baffles with in 4 or
5 feet.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

- James Madison