Old 19-10-2008, 03:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
John Smith[_7_] John Smith[_7_] is offline

Default Lot Border trees/bushes?

On Oct 16, 3:55*pm, ecarecar wrote:
Old timers might use Osage Orange.

Chris Tidio wrote:
I want to plant some border trees or bushes at the edge of my lot,
which is heavily *shaded by 3-4 largish trees, to delineate the lot
from the woods.

1. Are there any trees/bushes recommended for areas that only see sun
one-two hrs in the morning?

2. Is this something I can do now, or am I better off waiting till
spring? *(Boston area)
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

No one in their right mind would want to have to deal with a osage
orange tree in close proximity to where humans live. They are a nasty
dirty tree that makes a mess all year round. They have thorns on that
are always onthe lookout for tires on lawn equipment etc. Teh leaves
amke a big mess as they do not rot or deteriorate, and the fruit they
drop will dent a car or knock yo in the head and lay therre and rot
for ever. Just a plain nasty tree. I had hundreds of them that served
as pasture boundaries on my place and I can happily say I am down to a
handfull of them left and its been the best thing ever getting rid of
those nasty trees. Besides osage orange will not grow in just any old
soil. The prefer heavy clay based soils. You can get a hybrid species
of osage orange commonly called mock orange and its not quite as bad
as osage orange but its still a very dirty tree to deal with, and its
only good thing is nice shiney green leather like leaves and fragrant
blossoms for a month or so, then you get the tons of nasty leaves and
mess it makes.