Old 14-10-2008, 10:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lot Border trees/bushes?

I want to plant some border trees or bushes at the edge of my lot,
which is heavily shaded by 3-4 largish trees, to delineate the lot
from the woods.

1. Are there any trees/bushes recommended for areas that only see sun
one-two hrs in the morning?

2. Is this something I can do now, or am I better off waiting till
spring? (Boston area)

Old 15-10-2008, 02:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

Chris Tidio wrote:
I want to plant some border trees or bushes at the edge of my lot,
which is heavily shaded by 3-4 largish trees, to delineate the lot
from the woods.

1. Are there any trees/bushes recommended for areas that only see sun
one-two hrs in the morning?

2. Is this something I can do now, or am I better off waiting till
spring? (Boston area)

"newsreader" wrote in message
news
Green Giant might be a good option, and now is a great time to plant.
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...&cid=wext00003

not in heavy shade.

Old 15-10-2008, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

"newsreader" wrote in message

news
Green Giant might be a good option, and now is a great time to plant.
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp.../StoreCatalogD...

not in heavy shade.

They do not do well in areas that get any appreciable amount of wind
either. They are usually the first along with poplars to get broekn or
knocked down.
Old 16-10-2008, 05:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 14, 5:29*pm, Chris Tidio wrote:
I want to plant some border trees or bushes at the edge of my lot,
which is heavily *shaded by 3-4 largish trees, to delineate the lot
from the woods.

1. Are there any trees/bushes recommended for areas that only see sun
one-two hrs in the morning?

2. Is this something I can do now, or am I better off waiting till
spring? *(Boston area)
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

In your zone I'd imagine any of your average shade trees like Oaks &
Maples would do just fine. Oaks are slow growers but once they reach
maturity its hard to find a better looking tree. Maples are pretty
quick growers, but not going to get quite as big as your oaks. Ash &
Weeping Willows are also another decent option. It sort of depends on
what kind of shape you want as well.

This site might be helpful to you in picking a shade tree --
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ShadeTree.html

(Yes, I know, Lowes... kind of cheesy)

Old 17-10-2008, 05:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...
Old timers might use Osage Orange.

That's a very poor choice. There is a stand directly across the street from
me. The trees are unattractive, thorny and the softball size fruit it drops
makes a mess.
I suggest planting rhododendron, holly, mountain laural, maybe a sugar maple
or 2.

Old 17-10-2008, 01:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 17, 12:52*am, "Chas Hurst" wrote:
"ecarecar" wrote in message

et...

Old timers might use Osage Orange.

That's a very poor choice. There is a stand directly across the street from
me. The trees are unattractive, thorny and the softball size fruit it drops
makes a mess.
I suggest planting rhododendron, holly, mountain laural, maybe a sugar maple
or 2.

Those sound like good choices. Of course a lot depends of exactly
what kind of look you are going for. I'd suggest visiting some local
nurseries. They have experience to make recommendations and you can
actually see the stock too. Now through Nov is the perfect time to
be planting and most nurseries are running end of season sales.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Old 17-10-2008, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I live north west of Boston and had good luck with Arbor Vitae. The are
dense, grow fast and are fairly cheap. They don't require a lot of sun but
will do better with sun.

The same comments apply to our cryptomerium japonica. My SO loves the soft
green folliage. It's a bit pricey, however. Rhododendrons and Mountain
Laurel are doing well. We really like the Rhody "Boule de Neige" (Bowl of
snow).

Old 19-10-2008, 03:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chris Tidio wrote:
I want to plant some border trees or bushes at the edge of my lot,
which is heavily *shaded by 3-4 largish trees, to delineate the lot
from the woods.

1. Are there any trees/bushes recommended for areas that only see sun
one-two hrs in the morning?

2. Is this something I can do now, or am I better off waiting till
spring? *(Boston area)
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

No one in their right mind would want to have to deal with a osage
orange tree in close proximity to where humans live. They are a nasty
dirty tree that makes a mess all year round. They have thorns on that
are always onthe lookout for tires on lawn equipment etc. Teh leaves
amke a big mess as they do not rot or deteriorate, and the fruit they
drop will dent a car or knock yo in the head and lay therre and rot
for ever. Just a plain nasty tree. I had hundreds of them that served
as pasture boundaries on my place and I can happily say I am down to a
handfull of them left and its been the best thing ever getting rid of
those nasty trees. Besides osage orange will not grow in just any old
soil. The prefer heavy clay based soils. You can get a hybrid species
of osage orange commonly called mock orange and its not quite as bad
as osage orange but its still a very dirty tree to deal with, and its
only good thing is nice shiney green leather like leaves and fragrant
blossoms for a month or so, then you get the tons of nasty leaves and
mess it makes.