Old 20-10-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Withycombe Tom Withycombe is offline

Default Can I keep them alive?

Having lurked in the group for a (short) time, I feel certain that I can
elicit some advice on a problem I (or rather some shrubs) seem to be
having in my garden.

Living in the Blackmore Vale area of Dorset - a few miles south of
Sherborne - the soil tends to be pretty heavy clay. We have dug in lots
of grit, gravel and composted material and generally things do pretty
well. Being on a hill we tend to be rather exposed to the prevailing
winds ... it's gusting strongly today. Garden faces WOW and contains
some mature trees, stone walls and hedges which provide an element of
windbreak.

So much for the back ground. My question relates to the following shrubs
which were chosen for the acceptance of the soil type.

Robinia Pseudoacacia .... about 6 years old - grew well at first now 8
ft high but it seems to be about to return to its maker.

Ginko Biloba ... like the Robinia it did well for a couple of years but
now seems very unhappy. It is c. 4 ft (being planted 3 years ago as a 2
ft specimen). It's planted in a sunny location with some mature birches
to the North.

Cotinus (purple) .... has remained about 3 ft - disappointing
performance with minimal foliage.

This year has been very noticeable for the almost sudden decline of the
first two while the Cotinus just stays stolidly in place producing some
foliage and gathering lichen.

It may be relevant to mention that I gave the entire garden a heavy
mulch of well rotted cow manure last autumn. Senior Management has
pointed out to me that she has lost a number of her favourite perennials
and places the blame squarely on me for my autumnal action in 2007.

Any suggestions or advice on action would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset