Old 23-10-2008, 01:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea ID?

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/10/08 22:56, in article ,
"Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/10/08 12:21, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

http://i38.tinypic.com/23t1nhs.jpg

We have this Hydrangea in the garden but don't know which it is. As
shown,
it is white when the flowers are young and they age to this gorgeous
rich
burgundy colour. It's a lacecap. If anyone knows which it is or can
hazard
a guess, we'd love to be able to name it.

Talking to myself again! But we're almost certain it's H. serrata
Grayswood.

Sorry I didn't reply - I do like the "can you identify this?" posts - but
didn't know. I also did a google on it but couldn't come up with
anything,
so I didn't think it was worth saying I couldn't help.
I suspect no-one else knew either!
Glad you're almost sure you have an ID for it now. I like to name things
too.

It's better to say nothing than to insist on an incorrect ID! But I did a
hunt on some web sites for this one, and one of the sites has a National
Collection of Hydrangeas. The pic there seems to confirm that this is H.
serrata Grayswood but I've sent them the same photo to see what they
think.
It's one we have in our garden but don't remember acquiring!

I have some apples in my orchard (here when I moved here) that I would love
to identify. One is definitely a Bramley and there's a russet one. The
others are a mystery. A huge yellow apple blushed red, a small green one
blushed red, a medium sized totally green with a navel. There's more.They
are all big trees planted 60ish years ago.
Better not start on "what are these pears, or what are these plums eh/" g