Old 22-10-2008, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea ID?

On 17/10/08 12:21, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

http://i38.tinypic.com/23t1nhs.jpg

We have this Hydrangea in the garden but don't know which it is. As shown,
it is white when the flowers are young and they age to this gorgeous rich
burgundy colour. It's a lacecap. If anyone knows which it is or can hazard
a guess, we'd love to be able to name it.

Talking to myself again! But we're almost certain it's H. serrata
Grayswood.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-10-2008, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/10/08 12:21, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

http://i38.tinypic.com/23t1nhs.jpg

We have this Hydrangea in the garden but don't know which it is. As
shown,
it is white when the flowers are young and they age to this gorgeous rich
burgundy colour. It's a lacecap. If anyone knows which it is or can
hazard
a guess, we'd love to be able to name it.

Talking to myself again! But we're almost certain it's H. serrata
Grayswood.

Sorry I didn't reply - I do like the "can you identify this?" posts - but I
didn't know. I also did a google on it but couldn't come up with anything,
so I didn't think it was worth saying I couldn't help.
I suspect no-one else knew either!
Glad you're almost sure you have an ID for it now. I like to name things
too.

Old 23-10-2008, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/08 22:56, in article , "Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/10/08 12:21, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

http://i38.tinypic.com/23t1nhs.jpg

We have this Hydrangea in the garden but don't know which it is. As
shown,
it is white when the flowers are young and they age to this gorgeous rich
burgundy colour. It's a lacecap. If anyone knows which it is or can
hazard
a guess, we'd love to be able to name it.

Talking to myself again! But we're almost certain it's H. serrata
Grayswood.

Sorry I didn't reply - I do like the "can you identify this?" posts - but I
didn't know. I also did a google on it but couldn't come up with anything,
so I didn't think it was worth saying I couldn't help.
I suspect no-one else knew either!
Glad you're almost sure you have an ID for it now. I like to name things
too.

It's better to say nothing than to insist on an incorrect ID! But I did a
hunt on some web sites for this one, and one of the sites has a National
Collection of Hydrangeas. The pic there seems to confirm that this is H.
serrata Grayswood but I've sent them the same photo to see what they think.
It's one we have in our garden but don't remember acquiring!

Old 23-10-2008, 01:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/10/08 22:56, in article ,
"Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/10/08 12:21, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

[...]

I have some apples in my orchard (here when I moved here) that I would love
to identify. One is definitely a Bramley and there's a russet one. The
others are a mystery. A huge yellow apple blushed red, a small green one
blushed red, a medium sized totally green with a navel. There's more.They
are all big trees planted 60ish years ago.
Better not start on "what are these pears, or what are these plums eh/" g

Old 24-10-2008, 06:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

It's better to say nothing than to insist on an incorrect ID!

Now doesn't that bring back memories? If you're thinking the same as
me, I just hope it doesn't bring about a resurrection LOL!

But I did a
hunt on some web sites for this one, and one of the sites has a National
Collection of Hydrangeas. The pic there seems to confirm that this is H.
serrata Grayswood

I've only just looked in today, but I think it's a fairly safe
assumption Sacha. I had a nice big one at Bromsgrove and always
preferred its autumn performance. Like people, some Hydrangeas age
disgracefully, but 'Grayswood' really does it with style. Being
reminded of it, almost makes me want to start planting hardy
shrubs
No! That would never do ;-) I've already exhibited a decided
deterioration, by warming to and buying a few Dahlias - 'Fascination'
etc. but I cannot allow such lapses to continue (apols to David at
Abacus).
Old 24-10-2008, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/08 06:46, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

It's better to say nothing than to insist on an incorrect ID!

Now doesn't that bring back memories? If you're thinking the same as
me, I just hope it doesn't bring about a resurrection LOL!

;-)

But I did a
hunt on some web sites for this one, and one of the sites has a National
Collection of Hydrangeas. The pic there seems to confirm that this is H.
serrata Grayswood

I've only just looked in today, but I think it's a fairly safe
assumption Sacha. I had a nice big one at Bromsgrove and always
preferred its autumn performance. Like people, some Hydrangeas age
disgracefully, but 'Grayswood' really does it with style. Being
reminded of it, almost makes me want to start planting hardy
shrubs

Hi, David! Yes, its autumn colouration is particularly good and it makes a
lovely show towards the end of our big lawn.

No! That would never do ;-) I've already exhibited a decided
deterioration, by warming to and buying a few Dahlias - 'Fascination'
etc. but I cannot allow such lapses to continue (apols to David at
Abacus).

Well, if you haven't got the Dahlia imperialis, don't you think you should
try it in your garden and see if it hits its 14' stride!? And did we give
you the wonderful Dahlia excelsa, David Hill gave us? It's not anything
like as tall as D. imperialis, going to around 6' here but it's a terrific
flower and the colour is absolutely zinging. Here, it needs careful staking
but with you, it would probably be protected from the wind.

Old 24-10-2008, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

Well, if you haven't got the Dahlia imperialis, don't you think you should
try it in your garden and see if it hits its 14' stride!?

I bought one from Ian Cooke back in '96 when he still had his nursery
near Launceston. It reached just a shade under 12ft. by October and
then produced its terminal raceme of rather nondescript pink flowers.
They opened over several weeks, but autumn rains did them no favours
and having to scale ladders to view flowers that aren't worth the
climb din't really cut it with me. I though it might be knocked back
during that winter, but the stem proved hardy and off it went again in
the following year. It proved a big mistake not to cut it back,
because the plant turned into a monstrous heap. I didn't wait for
flowers and consigned it to the bonfire well before summer was out.

And did we give
you the wonderful Dahlia excelsa, David Hill gave us?

No, I did think about that because the flowers are worth the effort,
but there's not enough room here now. The dark /dusky leaved types
are more my 'thing' - hence my admiration for varieties such as
'Fascination' and 'Roxy'. The next 'biggie' in terms of impact has to
be 'Twynings After Eight'. A magnificent single white with the
blackest foliage imaginable. If you haven't got it, it's an absolute
must. Definitely on my list for '09
Old 24-10-2008, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/10/08 22:33, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Well, if you haven't got the Dahlia imperialis, don't you think you should
try it in your garden and see if it hits its 14' stride!?

I bought one from Ian Cooke back in '96 when he still had his nursery
near Launceston. It reached just a shade under 12ft. by October and
then produced its terminal raceme of rather nondescript pink flowers.
They opened over several weeks, but autumn rains did them no favours
and having to scale ladders to view flowers that aren't worth the
climb din't really cut it with me. I though it might be knocked back
during that winter, but the stem proved hardy and off it went again in
the following year. It proved a big mistake not to cut it back,
because the plant turned into a monstrous heap. I didn't wait for
flowers and consigned it to the bonfire well before summer was out.

Yes, it's interesting and a real curiosity but not grown for flower impact!

And did we give
you the wonderful Dahlia excelsa, David Hill gave us?

No, I did think about that because the flowers are worth the effort,
but there's not enough room here now. The dark /dusky leaved types
are more my 'thing' - hence my admiration for varieties such as
'Fascination' and 'Roxy'. The next 'biggie' in terms of impact has to
be 'Twynings After Eight'. A magnificent single white with the
blackest foliage imaginable. If you haven't got it, it's an absolute
must. Definitely on my list for '09

The After Eight sounds wonderful and the other I think you should have which
has dark foliage and stunning bright lipstick pink flowers is Engelhardt's
Matador.

Old 25-10-2008, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

The After Eight sounds wonderful and the other I think you should have which
has dark foliage and stunning bright lipstick pink flowers is Engelhardt's
Matador.

Yes, I bought that this summer after finally admitting to myself that
some Dahlias at least weren't mere allotment fodder. 'Fascination'
started it all, but Engelhardt is almost in a different league. It
has considerable visual impact and looks magnificent when planted with
large leaved, glaucous grey-green Colocasias.

Hydrangea mop head blue Rich United Kingdom 4 07-11-2003 01:23 AM
hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM
Hydrangea - No Flowers Alan Terry United Kingdom 8 22-10-2002 05:45 PM