Old 10-04-2003, 08:44 AM
jane

Default raspberry canes

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:50:47 GMT,
(subbykins{Chrd}) wrote:

~On 8 Apr 2003 00:35:03 -0700,
(R) wrote:
~
~Hi
~
~I planted 5 raspberry canes in Feb (Autumn Bliss variety), following
~all instructions on spacing and made sure soil had plenty of compost
~mixed in, as well as adding fertiliser and mulched the soil to help
~keep moist. I have been watering regularly, but the canes still show
~no signs of life at all- no leaves or buds. Is this usual for an
~autumn variety or are they dead/dormant?
~
~thanks
~R.
~
~We cut ours down about 3 weeks ago, and it's got loads of leaves on it
~but no signs of upward growth yet. I've been told, don't know how
~true it is, that Autumn bliss will fruit in the first year. Our
~blackcurrants are going for it, and the older ones we discovered
~behind the shrubbery last year and hacked back have loads of little
~pink flowers on them. I'm hoping this means they're a summer fruiting
~variety rather than the autumn one we planted, ben nevis or something
~G.

I am pretty sure Autumn Bliss will fruit in the first year, though not
as prolifically as in later years. I definitely know the cultivar I
bought does, as I watched one of my fellow allotmenteers last year
picking them for months... she couldn't believe it. It was the first
year for my Glen Ample (summer fruiting) and they of course didn't do
anything. They don't look brilliant this year, either, having only
grown 2-3' canes last summer. But they too are already growing new
canes from the base for next year, so I am keeping them watered and
hoping for the best.

Anyone know what to feed summer rasps to get good strong canes for
*next* year? Not too worried about the effect on this year's fruiting,
I'd rather get a good plant first. I am suspecting I need high
phosphate for root development and high nitrogen for the cane growth
given how they spread!

Blackcurrants, yes, getting ready to flower here (Chilterns, snowy
today). By autumn ones I assume you mean late season? I've got
June/July ones through to August: Ben Connan, Ben Sarek, Wellington
XXX and a load of inherited plants that look like I'll get a monster
crop this year if the wretched pigeons don't get there first. The
gooseberries are already in full bloom and I hope that these recent
nasty frosts haven't clobbered them.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!