Old 24-10-2008, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Hydrangea ID?

On 24/10/08 06:46, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

It's better to say nothing than to insist on an incorrect ID!

Now doesn't that bring back memories? If you're thinking the same as
me, I just hope it doesn't bring about a resurrection LOL!

;-)

But I did a
hunt on some web sites for this one, and one of the sites has a National
Collection of Hydrangeas. The pic there seems to confirm that this is H.
serrata Grayswood

I've only just looked in today, but I think it's a fairly safe
assumption Sacha. I had a nice big one at Bromsgrove and always
preferred its autumn performance. Like people, some Hydrangeas age
disgracefully, but 'Grayswood' really does it with style. Being
reminded of it, almost makes me want to start planting hardy
shrubs

Hi, David! Yes, its autumn colouration is particularly good and it makes a
lovely show towards the end of our big lawn.

No! That would never do ;-) I've already exhibited a decided
deterioration, by warming to and buying a few Dahlias - 'Fascination'
etc. but I cannot allow such lapses to continue (apols to David at
Abacus).

Well, if you haven't got the Dahlia imperialis, don't you think you should
try it in your garden and see if it hits its 14' stride!? And did we give
you the wonderful Dahlia excelsa, David Hill gave us? It's not anything
like as tall as D. imperialis, going to around 6' here but it's a terrific
flower and the colour is absolutely zinging. Here, it needs careful staking
but with you, it would probably be protected from the wind.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com