Old 24-10-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default bulbs being eaten

On 24/10/08 19:55, in article ,
"catkin" wrote:

Another idea ... you say you have a grass verge ... are you in the
countryside, near badgers?

yes - there are badgers about but our garden is fenced (the old people had a
dog) so I thought that things like badgers wouldn't be able to get into it.

They sort of tunnel through Devon stone and foliage hedge/walls here and it
would take a lot to stop them. Their claws are immensely powerful for
digging and their teeth can bite a man's leg to the bone. Badgers are a
distinct possibility. If, in your lanes, you see little outspills of earth
onto the surface, that's probably a badger battering its way through. We
see them all over the place here and sadly, often see dead badgers, too.
They love peanuts apparently so it's up to you to decide whether feeding
them peanuts would keep them off your bulbs or merely encourage them to
forage further!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com