Old 24-10-2008, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bulbs being eaten

Something is digging up (and I assume eating) all my daffodil bulbs. I know
that squirrels do this but these were planted under largish pebbles (say 2
inches across) and in around some quite big (say 8 inches across) rocks. the
pebbles have been scrapped away and the rocks rolled over. Also the same
thing has happened to all the bulbs in our road verge and I can't see any
squashed squirrels lying near by. The holes are deep (I planted the bulbs
deeply). any advice please?

--
Hayley
gardening on clay in Somerset

Old 24-10-2008, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 24, 1:08 pm, "catkin" wrote:
Something is digging up (and I assume eating) all my daffodil bulbs. I know
that squirrels do this but these were planted under largish pebbles (say 2
inches across) and in around some quite big (say 8 inches across) rocks. the
pebbles have been scrapped away and the rocks rolled over. Also the same
thing has happened to all the bulbs in our road verge and I can't see any
squashed squirrels lying near by. The holes are deep (I planted the bulbs
deeply). any advice please?

--
Hayley
gardening on clay in Somerset

Chickens ggrr!!! My neighbours scratch mine up!!!!

Judith
Old 24-10-2008, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 24, 1:17 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:10:42 +0100, Sacha wrote:
On 24/10/08 13:08, in article ,
"catkin" wrote:

Something is digging up (and I assume eating) all my daffodil bulbs. I know
that squirrels do this but these were planted under largish pebbles (say 2
inches across) and in around some quite big (say 8 inches across) rocks. the
pebbles have been scrapped away and the rocks rolled over. Also the same
thing has happened to all the bulbs in our road verge and I can't see any
squashed squirrels lying near by. The holes are deep (I planted the bulbs
deeply). any advice please?

Mice? Rats?

Aborigines?
--

Martin

Hello, bin down under have we? :-)

Judith
Old 24-10-2008, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Something is digging up (and I assume eating) all my daffodil bulbs.

Mice? Rats?

the holes are big - several inches across and about 6-8 inches deep.

Old 24-10-2008, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"catkin" wrote in message
Something is digging up (and I assume eating) all my daffodil bulbs.

Mice? Rats?

the holes are big - several inches across and about 6-8 inches deep.

--
Hayley
gardening on clay in Somerset

I'm wondering if foxes eat daff bulbs...?

Another idea ... you say you have a grass verge ... are you in the
countryside, near badgers? I don't know if badgers eat bulbs, either ...
just wondering out loud.

Both badgers and foxes are capable of digging deep holes. I've had foxes,
for example, come into my garden, roll cobbles away and dig up bulbs from a
stone trough.

Spider

Old 24-10-2008, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , catkin
writes
Something is digging up (and I assume eating) all my daffodil bulbs.

Mice? Rats?

the holes are big - several inches across and about 6-8 inches deep.

Holes that size sounds very much like badgers .... and I know you have
your fair share of them in Somerset. It is quite common for badgers to
enter gardens and consume crops, fruit etc. and, while I haven't
actually heard of them eating bulbs, they are very omnivorous. For what
it's worth, the holes they dig tend to be oval(ish) with the spoil
spread around. Very untidy.

--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old 24-10-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 24, 1:25 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 05:20:28 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

@#$%^ French you can't trust them )
--

Martin

I can always depend on you Martin for a gossip and a smile over the
garden fence :-) Today I managed to plant Narzissen Botanisch Mixed
(must be Dutch innit?). Lets hope nothing digs up this lot!

Judith
Old 24-10-2008, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Another idea ... you say you have a grass verge ... are you in the
countryside, near badgers?

yes - there are badgers about but our garden is fenced (the old people had a
dog) so I thought that things like badgers wouldn't be able to get into it.