Old 25-10-2008, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default How to get rid of grass/turf?

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:33:13 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"mo" wrote in message
m...
Hi
As part of a bigger job I need to (tomorrow/sunday) lift up and throw away
about 4 square metres of grass.

What is the best way? I tried some today with a spade but as it is wet it
is all a bit messy as the garss is hard to pull apart from the mud.

Any tips?

With the edge of your spade, or a half-moon iron if you have one, cut the
surface into pieces the size of a turf, or a bit smaller to reduce the
weight. Then get your spade underneath and chop off at about 1.5 - 2" depth.
Once you have removed the first piece, it will be easier to slice underneath
with your spade.

Or, Cut the surface into pieces a foot square, and fork them up one at a
time.

But either way, you're in for quite a bit of work.

Agreed, but don't throw the turf away. Find a corner where you can
stack the pieces, turf side down, and it will rot into lovely loam,
given time.

Pam in Bristol