Old 25-10-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to get rid of grass/turf?

Hi
As part of a bigger job I need to (tomorrow/sunday) lift up and throw away
about 4 square metres of grass.

What is the best way? I tried some today with a spade but as it is wet it is
all a bit messy as the garss is hard to pull apart from the mud.

Any tips?

Old 25-10-2008, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message
Hi
As part of a bigger job I need to (tomorrow/sunday) lift up and throw away
about 4 square metres of grass.

What is the best way? I tried some today with a spade but as it is wet it
is all a bit messy as the garss is hard to pull apart from the mud.

Any tips?

Just tuck your spade into the side of the turf about an inch/half or so and
then go horizontal. There is no easy way. Maybe you are trying to dig too
deep? Your aim is to sever the grass roots, not to dig right down.

Old 25-10-2008, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message
Hi
As part of a bigger job I need to (tomorrow/sunday) lift up and throw away
about 4 square metres of grass.

What is the best way? I tried some today with a spade but as it is wet it
is all a bit messy as the garss is hard to pull apart from the mud.

Any tips?

With the edge of your spade, or a half-moon iron if you have one, cut the
surface into pieces the size of a turf, or a bit smaller to reduce the
weight. Then get your spade underneath and chop off at about 1.5 - 2" depth.
Once you have removed the first piece, it will be easier to slice underneath
with your spade.

Or, Cut the surface into pieces a foot square, and fork them up one at a
time.

But either way, you're in for quite a bit of work.

Steve

Old 25-10-2008, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message
Hi
As part of a bigger job I need to (tomorrow/sunday) lift up and throw away
about 4 square metres of grass.

What is the best way? I tried some today with a spade but as it is wet it
is all a bit messy as the garss is hard to pull apart from the mud.

Any tips?

Sharp spade.

Cut into 1ft or thereabouts squares

Slide spade, flat, under each square and lift as a 'turf'.

Stack upside down as a 'wall' somewhere.

Breaks down as a fine tilth.

Been there. Done that. Got the back ache

Mike

Old 25-10-2008, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:33:13 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"mo" wrote in message
m...
Hi
As part of a bigger job I need to (tomorrow/sunday) lift up and throw away
about 4 square metres of grass.

What is the best way? I tried some today with a spade but as it is wet it
is all a bit messy as the garss is hard to pull apart from the mud.

Any tips?

With the edge of your spade, or a half-moon iron if you have one, cut the
surface into pieces the size of a turf, or a bit smaller to reduce the
weight. Then get your spade underneath and chop off at about 1.5 - 2" depth.
Once you have removed the first piece, it will be easier to slice underneath
with your spade.

Or, Cut the surface into pieces a foot square, and fork them up one at a
time.

But either way, you're in for quite a bit of work.

Agreed, but don't throw the turf away. Find a corner where you can
stack the pieces, turf side down, and it will rot into lovely loam,
given time.

Pam in Bristol

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM
Would you all like to get rid of Gorgeous George? Could you get shot of Saddam at the same time Gorgeous George United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 09:56 PM