Old 26-10-2008, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Grass Seed

The message
from "SevenSeas" contains these words:

Edit: Thanks to Bob for directing me here, cheers!

Hi folks,

For some reason this year, I've caught the gardening bug - which
has led to the complete demolition and rebuild of our garden. My
aches: severe, but it's all great fun.

That aside, I've hit a basic problem - How much grass seed to put
down? I cleared a small area just under our living room windows
and put a fair amount of seed down, yet it has grown patchy. At some
point I wish to do all of the garden, once I've levelled the ground.
Do you smother the mud? Apply sparingly? Any help appreciated!

Prepare soil to fine and crumbly, if you can, leave a big heap of it
aside on a piece of plastic membrane, or in sacks, broadcast the seed as
per instructions on packet (or spread it fairly densely, so that it more
than colours the soil), rake it in, then cover the lot - don't even
leave one seed showing! - with the soil you put aside.

The covering is not so that the seed will germinate any better, but so
as not to be an open invitation to the birds - especially sparrows.

Down't worry if the seed comes up patchily, if you are prepared to wait,
one seed per square inch will cover the area with grass - eventually.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig