Old 26-10-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass Seed

Edit: Thanks to Bob for directing me here, cheers!

Hi folks,

For some reason this year, I've caught the gardening bug - which
has led to the complete demolition and rebuild of our garden. My
aches: severe, but it's all great fun.

That aside, I've hit a basic problem - How much grass seed to put
down? I cleared a small area just under our living room windows
and put a fair amount of seed down, yet it has grown patchy. At some
point I wish to do all of the garden, once I've levelled the ground.
Do you smother the mud? Apply sparingly? Any help appreciated!

Old 26-10-2008, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "SevenSeas" contains these words:

Edit: Thanks to Bob for directing me here, cheers!

Hi folks,

For some reason this year, I've caught the gardening bug - which
has led to the complete demolition and rebuild of our garden. My
aches: severe, but it's all great fun.

That aside, I've hit a basic problem - How much grass seed to put
down? I cleared a small area just under our living room windows
and put a fair amount of seed down, yet it has grown patchy. At some
point I wish to do all of the garden, once I've levelled the ground.
Do you smother the mud? Apply sparingly? Any help appreciated!

Prepare soil to fine and crumbly, if you can, leave a big heap of it
aside on a piece of plastic membrane, or in sacks, broadcast the seed as
per instructions on packet (or spread it fairly densely, so that it more
than colours the soil), rake it in, then cover the lot - don't even
leave one seed showing! - with the soil you put aside.

The covering is not so that the seed will germinate any better, but so
as not to be an open invitation to the birds - especially sparrows.

Down't worry if the seed comes up patchily, if you are prepared to wait,
one seed per square inch will cover the area with grass - eventually.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-10-2008, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/10/08 13:35, in article ,
"SevenSeas" wrote:

Edit: Thanks to Bob for directing me here, cheers!

Hi folks,

For some reason this year, I've caught the gardening bug - which
has led to the complete demolition and rebuild of our garden. My
aches: severe, but it's all great fun.

That aside, I've hit a basic problem - How much grass seed to put
down? I cleared a small area just under our living room windows
and put a fair amount of seed down, yet it has grown patchy. At some
point I wish to do all of the garden, once I've levelled the ground.
Do you smother the mud? Apply sparingly? Any help appreciated!

Here's my husband's method and it works well. Mix grass seed with compost
in a wheelbarrow. Put all back into the compost bag and close the top of
the bag. Leave until beginning to germinate. Spread where wanted. Cover
lightly with horticultural fleece, old net curtains, something light and
weight the corners down with stones or logs etc. Watch it grow! This
method means you can see where you're throwing the stuff and birds are less
likely to get at it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-10-2008, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Here's my husband's method and it works well. Mix grass seed with compost
in a wheelbarrow. Put all back into the compost bag and close the top of
the bag. Leave until beginning to germinate. Spread where wanted. Cover
lightly with horticultural fleece, old net curtains, something light and
weight the corners down with stones or logs etc. Watch it grow! This
method means you can see where you're throwing the stuff and birds are
less
likely to get at it.

Thanks both! (Rusty Hinge) - that's more information than I
imagined, I'll make good use of your posts, thank you.

Old 26-10-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SevenSeas" wrote
For some reason this year, I've caught the gardening bug - which
has led to the complete demolition and rebuild of our garden. My
aches: severe, but it's all great fun.

That aside, I've hit a basic problem - How much grass seed to put
down? I cleared a small area just under our living room windows
and put a fair amount of seed down, yet it has grown patchy. At some
point I wish to do all of the garden, once I've levelled the ground.
Do you smother the mud? Apply sparingly? Any help appreciated!

Normally a good handful per sq.yard is good enough (assuming you have hands
a big as mine).

.....the box I have in the shed says...
35g per sq.metre or 1oz per sq.yard (a large handful)
For a visual guide first apply (a handful) to a measured area.
Sow half left to right and the rest top to bottom.

Hope that helps.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-10-2008, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote: Normally a good handful per sq.yard is good enough
(assuming you have hands a big as mine).

....the box I have in the shed says...
35g per sq.metre or 1oz per sq.yard (a large handful)
For a visual guide first apply (a handful) to a measured area.
Sow half left to right and the rest top to bottom.

Hope that helps.

That does, thanks. Instructions on my box were pretty
vague to say the least.

Old 27-10-2008, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There was a young gardener from Leeds

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-10-2008, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:23:21 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

There was a young gardener from Leeds

decided he liked to suck seeds

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 27-10-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:23:21 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

There was a young gardener from Leeds

decided he liked to suck seeds

In a month his poor arse

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-10-2008, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:47:04 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:23:21 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

There was a young gardener from Leeds

decided he liked to suck seeds

In a month his poor arse

Was covered with grass

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 28-10-2008, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:47:04 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):
The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:23:21 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

There was a young gardener from Leeds
decided he liked to suck seeds

In a month his poor arse

Was covered with grass

And he couldn't sit down for the weeds.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 28-10-2008, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:09:52 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:47:04 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):
The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:23:21 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

There was a young gardener from Leeds
decided he liked to suck seeds
In a month his poor arse

Was covered with grass

And he couldn't sit down for the weeds.

Do keep up at the back there

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 28-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered User

A handful per square metre is all very well, but hard to do - you get another handful from the bag and can't remember where the last lot went. I always get 4 garden canes and fasten them together with twine to make a metre square, then move it AFTER I've got the next handful, so i can see where I've already been. Same applies with lawn dressings and weed and feed. If I had the money I'd get one of those fancy spreaders.
Old 28-10-2008, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

A handful per square metre is all very well, but hard to do - you get
another handful from the bag and can't remember where the last lot
went. I always get 4 garden canes and fasten them together with twine
to make a metre square, then move it AFTER I've got the next handful,
so i can see where I've already been. Same applies with lawn dressings
and weed and feed. If I had the money I'd get one of those fancy
spreaders.

Visit us in the Shed and you can spread yer fancies as you wish.

You know it makes scents.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig