Old 26-10-2008, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Grass Seed

On 26/10/08 13:35, in article ,
"SevenSeas" wrote:

Edit: Thanks to Bob for directing me here, cheers!

Hi folks,

For some reason this year, I've caught the gardening bug - which
has led to the complete demolition and rebuild of our garden. My
aches: severe, but it's all great fun.

That aside, I've hit a basic problem - How much grass seed to put
down? I cleared a small area just under our living room windows
and put a fair amount of seed down, yet it has grown patchy. At some
point I wish to do all of the garden, once I've levelled the ground.
Do you smother the mud? Apply sparingly? Any help appreciated!

Here's my husband's method and it works well. Mix grass seed with compost
in a wheelbarrow. Put all back into the compost bag and close the top of
the bag. Leave until beginning to germinate. Spread where wanted. Cover
lightly with horticultural fleece, old net curtains, something light and
weight the corners down with stones or logs etc. Watch it grow! This
method means you can see where you're throwing the stuff and birds are less
likely to get at it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com