Old 26-10-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Grass Seed

"SevenSeas" wrote
For some reason this year, I've caught the gardening bug - which
has led to the complete demolition and rebuild of our garden. My
aches: severe, but it's all great fun.

That aside, I've hit a basic problem - How much grass seed to put
down? I cleared a small area just under our living room windows
and put a fair amount of seed down, yet it has grown patchy. At some
point I wish to do all of the garden, once I've levelled the ground.
Do you smother the mud? Apply sparingly? Any help appreciated!

Normally a good handful per sq.yard is good enough (assuming you have hands
a big as mine).

.....the box I have in the shed says...
35g per sq.metre or 1oz per sq.yard (a large handful)
For a visual guide first apply (a handful) to a measured area.
Sow half left to right and the rest top to bottom.

Hope that helps.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden