Old 28-10-2008, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Withycombe[_2_] Tom Withycombe[_2_] is offline

Default Potato Blight?

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:03:44 -0000, "Donna UK"
wrote:

Hi All

I am growing some potatoes for christmas and when I checked them yesterday
noticed what seems to be little blight spots appearing on the leaves.

Now in someways I am not surprised with the warmish weather we have been
getting but was wondering if I would be ok to leave the tops on and just
remove the few leaves wtih spots on?

The forecast say that the weather is going to get colder so dont want to
hack it all down if I can still keep them growing. They have only been in
for two months so still need another month or two at least to get a decent
crop.

What would you advise?

Blight usually shows on the stems before the leaves. Your black spots
may just be mildew from the weather conditions.

My outdoor potatoes were harvested by the end of August, and the
leaves and stems were taken off before that to avoid blight. I was
lucky. Those on our site who left them longer lost a lot to blight.

Where are you growing them? I've no experience of growing potatoes
this late. You need advice from someone who has.

Pam in Bristol

Yes ... that's a very good point. The knowledge of someone with
experience of growing potatoes this late would be very helpful. Having
also been struck for the first time by the dreaded blight (or at least
my spuds were), I caught it reasonably early and cut off the haulms and
burned them. As I was growing them in pots I checked one and the
potatoes were OK. Small but OK. So I left them for another few days and
then lifted the lot. All were fine and they are stored in a hessian sack
in the garage. Average size a little smaller then a medium hen's egg.
But the idea of having Xmas potatoes freshly lifted has gone.

Anyone with tips on how to grow potatoes late, please?

--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset