Old 27-10-2008, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato Blight?

Hi All

I am growing some potatoes for christmas and when I checked them yesterday
noticed what seems to be little blight spots appearing on the leaves.

Now in someways I am not surprised with the warmish weather we have been
getting but was wondering if I would be ok to leave the tops on and just
remove the few leaves wtih spots on?

The forecast say that the weather is going to get colder so dont want to
hack it all down if I can still keep them growing. They have only been in
for two months so still need another month or two at least to get a decent
crop.

What would you advise?

Donna

Old 27-10-2008, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna UK" wrote in message
Hi All

I am growing some potatoes for christmas and when I checked them yesterday
noticed what seems to be little blight spots appearing on the leaves.

Now in someways I am not surprised with the warmish weather we have been
getting but was wondering if I would be ok to leave the tops on and just
remove the few leaves wtih spots on?

The forecast say that the weather is going to get colder so dont want to
hack it all down if I can still keep them growing. They have only been in
for two months so still need another month or two at least to get a decent
crop.

What would you advise?

Donna

I hate to put a damper on things but if they survive the next few cold
nights they'll be very brave potatoes, blight or no blight. It can do no
harm to pick off the infected parts as there isn't really any alternative I
suppose. Good luck

Old 27-10-2008, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:

"Donna UK" wrote in message
[...]

Consider yourself fortunate, Mine got blight almost as soon as they I
put then in the ground!
Old 27-10-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
I hate to put a damper on things but if they survive the next few cold
nights they'll be very brave potatoes, blight or no blight. It can do no
harm to pick off the infected parts as there isn't really any alternative
I suppose. Good luck

Me likewise !
Are these spuds indoors (greenhouse etc) or outdoors ?
If the latter then I would dig them up p.d.q. and cut my losses -
remembering to plant earlier next year !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 27-10-2008, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete Stockdale wrote:
"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
I hate to put a damper on things but if they survive the next few cold
nights they'll be very brave potatoes, blight or no blight. It can do no
harm to pick off the infected parts as there isn't really any alternative
I suppose. Good luck

Me likewise !
Are these spuds indoors (greenhouse etc) or outdoors ?
If the latter then I would dig them up p.d.q. and cut my losses -
remembering to plant earlier next year !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

I planted mine earlier this year, Other years at least I have avoided
the dreaded blight! This may well be my last year of planting "Xmas"
spuds! :-(

Old 28-10-2008, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:03:44 -0000, "Donna UK"
wrote:

Hi All

I am growing some potatoes for christmas and when I checked them yesterday
noticed what seems to be little blight spots appearing on the leaves.

Now in someways I am not surprised with the warmish weather we have been
getting but was wondering if I would be ok to leave the tops on and just
remove the few leaves wtih spots on?

The forecast say that the weather is going to get colder so dont want to
hack it all down if I can still keep them growing. They have only been in
for two months so still need another month or two at least to get a decent
crop.

What would you advise?

Blight usually shows on the stems before the leaves. Your black spots
may just be mildew from the weather conditions.

My outdoor potatoes were harvested by the end of August, and the
leaves and stems were taken off before that to avoid blight. I was
lucky. Those on our site who left them longer lost a lot to blight.

Where are you growing them? I've no experience of growing potatoes
this late. You need advice from someone who has.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-10-2008, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

[...]

Yes ... that's a very good point. The knowledge of someone with
experience of growing potatoes this late would be very helpful. Having
also been struck for the first time by the dreaded blight (or at least
my spuds were), I caught it reasonably early and cut off the haulms and
burned them. As I was growing them in pots I checked one and the
potatoes were OK. Small but OK. So I left them for another few days and
then lifted the lot. All were fine and they are stored in a hessian sack
in the garage. Average size a little smaller then a medium hen's egg.
But the idea of having Xmas potatoes freshly lifted has gone.

Anyone with tips on how to grow potatoes late, please?

--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset