Old 29-10-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vacutone Vacutone is offline

Default Jasminum Nudiflorum in container4?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:00:22 +0000, Spider wrote
(in message ):

Hi. I've read the other replies and generally agree. As much as I like ivy
(in the right place), it can make a dreadful mess of a wall if you change
your mind and try to remove it later. Also, I've grown Hedera helix
'Goldheart' in shade and it certainly doesn't keep its variegation - not
entirely anyway. You'll find that you're always having to snip out the
plain green reversion.

After finding out about the Jasmine no scent issue I looked at the ivy
options again and eventually decided, more or less (well I went as far as
ordering one) to try Hedera Helix Saggitifolia. This at least has no
variegation to lose in the shade, and I like it better than Goldheart anyway,
now that I found a place to order it and can actually consider it a
possibility.

snip

My suggestion would be Euonymous fortunei 'Silver Queen'. This is a
stunning Euonymous all year round (with green/cream variegation), but
especially in winter when it seems to glow in any gloomy corner

Euonyous sounds good too, and I will look it up. But in spite of the
drawbacks, I'm basically more of an ivy person, and I'll try this first. I
know enough to not try to pull it off a wall while it is still alive! I'd cut
if off at the base to kill it and then detach it from the wall a year or so
later.

--
Vacutone