Old 28-10-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jasminum Nudiflorum in container4?

I have a smallish corner where I'd like to grow a climber up a north-facing
house wall to about 3m or less. Due to space limitations the container size
is very limited- I can squeeze in a 13" square x 13" deep (internal
dimensions) container. Originally I was going to plant the Ivy Goldheart
(Hedera helix 'Oro di Bogliasco'), which apparently keeps its variegation in
shade and is fairly resistant to drought, making this size of container
feasible. But I thought Jasmine might be a bit more fun as this is next to a
seat and it would give a reason for wrapping up warm and sitting outside in
the dead of winter to enjoy the scent. Well for five minutes or so at a time
anyway....

The question is, is this size of container going to be big enough for Jasmine
if it grows a couple of metres high?

--
Vacutone

Old 28-10-2008, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vacutone wrote:
I have a smallish corner where I'd like to grow a climber up a
north-facing house wall to about 3m or less. Due to space limitations
the container size is very limited- I can squeeze in a 13" square x
13" deep (internal dimensions) container. Originally I was going to
plant the Ivy Goldheart (Hedera helix 'Oro di Bogliasco'), which
apparently keeps its variegation in shade and is fairly resistant to
drought, making this size of container feasible. But I thought
Jasmine might be a bit more fun as this is next to a seat and it
would give a reason for wrapping up warm and sitting outside in the
dead of winter to enjoy the scent. Well for five minutes or so at a
time anyway....

Where did you get the idea that Jasminum nudiflorum has a scent?

--
Jeff

Old 28-10-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:21:33 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote
(in message ):

Where did you get the idea that Jasminum nudiflorum has a scent?

Funny you should ask that question at this precise time- I just thought I'd
make sure of that and found that it doesn't have a scent! My memory is not
good with such things but I reckon I might just have got mixed up and thought
it was one of the other species.

Thanks for pointing this out though- I might not have discovered that for
myself and would have been most discombobulated eventually,

Back to the ivy option.

--
Vacutone

Old 28-10-2008, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vacutone" wrote in message
s.com...
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:21:33 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote
(in message ):

Where did you get the idea that Jasminum nudiflorum has a scent?

Funny you should ask that question at this precise time- I just thought
I'd
make sure of that and found that it doesn't have a scent! My memory is not
good with such things but I reckon I might just have got mixed up and
thought
it was one of the other species.

Thanks for pointing this out though- I might not have discovered that for
myself and would have been most discombobulated eventually,

Back to the ivy option.

Ivy -- uggh !

You could consider the winter flowering Jasmine.
Cannot speak for the scent but it has nice to look pretty yellow flowers.
Sorry but I cannot give the Latin name.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 28-10-2008, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete Stockdale wrote:

"Vacutone" wrote in message
ws.com...
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:21:33 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote
(in message ):

Where did you get the idea that Jasminum nudiflorum has a scent?

Back to the ivy option.

Ivy -- uggh !

You could consider the winter flowering Jasmine.
Cannot speak for the scent but it has nice to look pretty yellow flowers.
Sorry but I cannot give the Latin name.

Read the message you responded to again :-)

It's a good plant, but is a straggler not a true climber, and the
flowers get frosted if the weather is cold.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered User

Jasmine nudiflorum IS the winter flowering jasmine! I don't know about growing it in pots, but if you want it to look good against a wall you need to tie it in so it kind of droops over. A bit of trellis or even a few horizontal wires up to 3 or 4 ft. will do the trick. It's a real sod in the ground as it self-layers all over the place.
Old 29-10-2008, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vacutone" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Hi. I've read the other replies and generally agree. As much as I like ivy
(in the right place), it can make a dreadful mess of a wall if you change
your mind and try to remove it later. Also, I've grown Hedera helix
'Goldheart' in shade and it certainly doesn't keep its variegation - not
entirely anyway. You'll find that you're always having to snip out the
plain green reversion.

The Jasmine is fine if you accept there's no scent, and if you keep it
pruned for compact growth and optimum flowering, so by all means still
consider it.

My suggestion would be Euonymous fortunei 'Silver Queen'. This is a
stunning Euonymous all year round (with green/cream variegation), but
especially in winter when it seems to glow in any gloomy corner, often
taking on a pink tinge in colder weather. It should not be confused with
the lower growing types. E.fort. 'Silver Queen' can make about 4' in height
left to its own devices but, when grown up a trellis, can easily make 6'
(2m). It is not usually associated with drought conditions, but mine grows
at the top of a steep bank under a row of forest trees *and* just in front
of a Pyracantha hedge, so I think it might fit the bill! Very occasionally,
there is a tiny bit of reversion in mine - both to plain green leaves and
plain cream leaves. The cream leaves don't threaten the plant, and the
all-green leaves are rare, so it's not a big job to snip them out.

Spider

Old 29-10-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:00:22 +0000, Spider wrote
(in message ):

Hi. I've read the other replies and generally agree. As much as I like ivy
(in the right place), it can make a dreadful mess of a wall if you change
your mind and try to remove it later. Also, I've grown Hedera helix
'Goldheart' in shade and it certainly doesn't keep its variegation - not
entirely anyway. You'll find that you're always having to snip out the
plain green reversion.

After finding out about the Jasmine no scent issue I looked at the ivy
options again and eventually decided, more or less (well I went as far as
ordering one) to try Hedera Helix Saggitifolia. This at least has no
variegation to lose in the shade, and I like it better than Goldheart anyway,
now that I found a place to order it and can actually consider it a
possibility.

snip

My suggestion would be Euonymous fortunei 'Silver Queen'. This is a
stunning Euonymous all year round (with green/cream variegation), but
especially in winter when it seems to glow in any gloomy corner

Euonyous sounds good too, and I will look it up. But in spite of the
drawbacks, I'm basically more of an ivy person, and I'll try this first. I
know enough to not try to pull it off a wall while it is still alive! I'd cut
if off at the base to kill it and then detach it from the wall a year or so
later.

--
Vacutone

Old 29-10-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I just ordered two of these, they do sound good.

How fast do they grow- or rather, how big will they grow in one and two
years?
I have had both the Emerald Gaiety and Green and Gold Euonymus for most of
the year- both appear to have not grown at all, so this is a concern!

--
Vacutone

Old 29-10-2008, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:24:40 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote
(in message ) :

And what is worse does not flower that well unless it gets sun! yet so
many books say " good for north walls" It is in my view worse than Ivy
which can look quite good on a north wall but needs to be kept firmly
under control.

It is crazy- I know I turn to books looking for factual information. Just as
well that we have this as well nowadays....

--
Vacutone

Old 30-10-2008, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article m,
Vacutone wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:24:40 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote
(in message ) :

And what is worse does not flower that well unless it gets sun! yet so
many books say " good for north walls" It is in my view worse than Ivy
which can look quite good on a north wall but needs to be kept firmly
under control.

It is crazy- I know I turn to books looking for factual information. Just as
well that we have this as well nowadays....

One of my hobby-horses is the moan that books tell you only what
the author feels is best, and not what is possible and what isn't.
Pruning is a particularly bad aspect, where it is almost impossible
to find out whether you CAN prune a plant hard, if you have only
limited room.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-10-2008, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article m,
says...
[...]

No they are just slows starters
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vacutone" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Sorry to be late coming back - 3 days in bed with chesty cold:~(

Charlie is right; they are probably a bit slow to get going. However, do
bear in mind that your more dwarf forms will necessarily be slower growing,
and therefore not an ideal comparison. I suggest you buy a decent sized
plant to start with (they're not that expensive) and it will still be
attractive. It has the advantage that you can choose to attach the trellis
or wire frame to the wall in spring when the weather is more pleasant. At
the same time you can feed the plant so it can grow away as the weather
improves. In the meantime, consider growing some hyacinths in the same pot
(or area) so you can enjoy that scent you clearly hanker for.

To be quite honest, almost anything started off in winter against a north
wall is going to be slow to start. With this Euonymous, I think it's well
worth the wait.

Spider