Old 31-10-2008, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~misfit~ ~misfit~ is offline

Default timing for briggs & stratton petrol lawn mower

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Dave Liquorice" typed:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:03:34 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

Loosed the nut until it's flush with the end of the shaft (or put it
back on like that) then get someone to lift the mower / engine *just*
off the ground by the flywheel. The belt the end of the shaft / nut
with a hammer.

Some one holding it wouldn't be able to hold it firm enough, it would
need to be supported.

Not true, I've done it like that lots of times.

There isn't much ga[p between flywheel and
engine and it doesn't protude (at least on my engine).

Yeah, they do vary.

I'm not quite
sure what effect the impacts would have on the magnets in the
flywheel for the ignition...

None whatsoever. If a few taps with a hammer are going to shift them you've
got bigger problems than getting a flywheel off a crankshaft.
--
Shaun.