Old 26-10-2008, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Default timing for briggs & stratton petrol lawn mower

I am replacing the crankshaft in a Briggs and stratton 35 classic petrol
lawn mower.
Can anyone help with how to set the timing.

thanks

Old 26-10-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S" wrote in message
I am replacing the crankshaft in a Briggs and stratton 35 classic petrol
lawn mower.
Can anyone help with how to set the timing.

thanks

Try here http://www.westongm.eclipse.co.uk/Diagnosis.html
or here http://www.oldengine.org/members/mur...nformation.htm
or even here http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq.htm

All thanks to Google.

--
Chris.
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Old 26-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by S View Post
I am replacing the crankshaft in a Briggs and stratton 35 classic petrol
lawn mower.
Can anyone help with how to set the timing.

thanks

--
No but:
1) Haynes Manuals do a Briggs and Straton engine manual.

2) Try your local Library they might have one

3) buy a manual from your local dealer.

Old 26-10-2008, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:42:36 -0000, S wrote:

I am replacing the crankshaft in a Briggs and stratton 35 classic petrol
lawn mower. Can anyone help with how to set the timing.

Just note where the the drive cogs and reference marks on them are when
you take it apart. Though IIRC when I did mine it will only go together
one way.

Look on the B&S website, they have engine manuals for download but I'm not
sure if they go into that level of servicing. There may be a generic
manual that does.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 27-10-2008, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Thanks Dave I think I have the timing sussed out now, I have found the
timing marks. Do you know how to get the flywheel off without the puller?
I could drill the shaft but hoping for an easier solution..

--

ll.net...

Old 27-10-2008, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:01:05 -0000, S wrote:

Do you know how to get the flywheel off without the puller?

Had to buy a socket for the nut but couldn't shift that. Ended up taking
it down to the local (proper, mends anything) garage. Took a 4' bar to
shift the nut and at one point didn't think a hefty puller was going to
shift the flywheel.

For a little bargin:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14493

Though I'm not sure 6" will be big enough, memory tells me the fly wheel
on my engine is nearer 8" and quite thick. It may not be up to the job
either assuming it fits...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 27-10-2008, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "S" typed:
Thanks Dave I think I have the timing sussed out now, I have found the
timing marks. Do you know how to get the flywheel off without the
puller? I could drill the shaft but hoping for an easier solution..

Loosed the nut until it's flush with the end of the shaft (or put it back on
like that) then get someone to lift the mower / engine *just* off the ground
by the flywheel. The belt the end of the shaft / nut with a hammer.
--
Shaun.

Old 27-10-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:03:34 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

Loosed the nut until it's flush with the end of the shaft (or put it
back on like that) then get someone to lift the mower / engine *just*
off the ground by the flywheel. The belt the end of the shaft / nut
with a hammer.

Some one holding it wouldn't be able to hold it firm enough, it would need
to be supported. There isn't much ga[p between flywheel and engine and it
doesn't protude (at least on my engine). I'm not quite sure what effect
the impacts would have on the magnets in the flywheel for the ignition...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 28-10-2008, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

I supported the bottom of the engine block as much as I could on wood and
then thumped the shaft at the flywheel end and out it came (quite easily)
....problem solved.
Now I can start the re build.

Thanks for all the input guys.
appreciated

Old 31-10-2008, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Dave Liquorice" typed:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:03:34 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

Loosed the nut until it's flush with the end of the shaft (or put it
back on like that) then get someone to lift the mower / engine *just*
off the ground by the flywheel. The belt the end of the shaft / nut
with a hammer.

Some one holding it wouldn't be able to hold it firm enough, it would
need to be supported.

Not true, I've done it like that lots of times.

There isn't much ga[p between flywheel and
engine and it doesn't protude (at least on my engine).

Yeah, they do vary.

I'm not quite
sure what effect the impacts would have on the magnets in the
flywheel for the ignition...

None whatsoever. If a few taps with a hammer are going to shift them you've
got bigger problems than getting a flywheel off a crankshaft.
--
Shaun.

Old 31-10-2008, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "S" typed:
I supported the bottom of the engine block as much as I could on wood
and then thumped the shaft at the flywheel end and out it came (quite
easily) ...problem solved.

Yeah, a bit of an impact moves them quite easilly.

Now I can start the re build.

Best of luck. :-)
--
Shaun.

Old 31-10-2008, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 01:03:07 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

I'm not quite sure what effect the impacts would have on the magnets in
the flywheel for the ignition...

None whatsoever. If a few taps with a hammer are going to shift them
you've got bigger problems than getting a flywheel off a crankshaft.

I wasn't thinking of 'em falling out more of losing their magnetisium.

--
Cheers
Dave.