Old 31-10-2008, 08:01 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_5_] Jeßus[_5_] is offline

Default planting Silver Birch - optimal spacing?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:08:18 +1100, terryc wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:42:33 +0000, Jeßus wrote:

I don't think SIlver Birch would be any use as a windbreak. The
foliage is not dense enough in summer. There is no foliage in winter,
because it is a deciduous tree.

I did consider that, but most wind breaks down here (Tas) seem to be
deciduous for some reason.

Are the winds bad when the leaves are on?

Might just have been that the planted rows are mis-identified as wind
breaks.

Could well be - to me they look like wind breaks, only because I can't
see any other function. I'm also not sure what the tree/shrub I always
see used is - but it's very bushy and thick, even when devoid of leaves.

BTW, a good wind break leaks and slows the wind, rather than totally
stops it. By doing so, its effect covers a wider area.

Yep - I know I won't ever stop the winds here... especially when it often
blows equally strong from 2 to 3 different directions simultaneously.